Cisco NAC Agent doesn't allow login with 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Daniel L, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Daniel L macrumors 6502

This is a huge thing for people logging into corporate or school networks. I now have no internet access. I'm sure it'll get resolved soon but for now, hold off on installing Mavericks.

Anyone have a workaround?

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

My school requires that in dorms. I've installed 10.9 but haven't tested nacagent yet.

3. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Been having the same issues since DP1. My work around is always to change my system version # when logging into my schools network and switching the .plist back to normal when im done. Only downside with this is that whatever app you dont currently have open such as itunes or safari will quit on launch unless you already have them open since it says they are not compatible so i usually either open safari, itunes, etc. before i make the plist change or simply use chrome.

4. bwat47 macrumors regular

So is the cisco software just version number sniffing then?

5. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Basically yup!

6. Daniel L thread starter macrumors 6502

Found a workaround but it requires Parallels. After connecting to the wifi network that requires Cisco NAC for access, I boot up my bootcamp Partition, use the Windows NAC agent in there to authenticate, and the internet starts working in OS X.

7. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Great! Now I have to rely on tethering at school. How long could it possibly take to add compatibility?

8. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

Here is a workaround that I can confirm as working (My university uses the NAC Agent too):

1. Close NAC Agent if open
    2. Navigate to SystemVersion.plist (/System/Library/CoreServices)
    3. Copy this file to the Desktop
    4. Open it and change the two values of 10.9 to 10.8.5
    5. Save and close the file
    6. Repalce the original SystemVersion.plist with the one you just modified
    7. Login to the NAC- it should work fine
    8. IMPORTANT- change the values of 10.8.5 BACK to 10.9 (I made a copy called SystemVersionOld.plst and just copy and rename it- if you do not do this step, none of your apps will work!)
    9. Profit!!

You unfortunately have to do this everytime you connect to the network, but it doesn’t take long once you get into the swing of it and know what you are doing.

9. mbmcginnis macrumors newbie

The version change pcgeek12345 described did not work for me (15" MBP, 2013). I re-installed the NAC agent and the portal says "Cisco Agent was detected and is running.", but still no network access (the agent says "searching"). Has anyone else found something that works?

10. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

Have you tried changing the version with the agent closed, then reopen the agent?

Or go to your schools IT department and ask them to whitelist your MAC address so you don't even have to go through Cisco.

11. Daniel L thread starter macrumors 6502