Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Hey hey all,

I've got a little problem that I've been battling with for the past few weeks that is really stumping me, so I thought you guys out there might have some more insight.

I'm taking Cisco CCNA and while last year I took CCNA 1 and 2 and was able to log into the cisco.netacad.net website and use it fine on my Mac using Firefox, never Safari. This year neither work (including the older version 1.5 of Firefox which I had last year!). Basically it stops on a white page while trying to load a java script page when I first log in. This is happening with my Mac and my friends Mac on Safari, Firefox, Opera, Flock, Camino, Netscape.

Any ideas for a work around? It used to work, just!

I haven't really got access to a Windows machine, but it works fine on one when I get access, so I tried Classic and IE 5.2 for Mac, which logged me on fine, but then asked me to install Flash Player. (This leads me onto my other slight problem!). So I download the flash player (version 7 I think, it's what Adobe send you to for unsupported systems now) that I have been prompted to download (I'm already running the latest version for OS X for Safari etc). What downloads is a file called "shockwave_flash_np_ppc.hqx" which gets extracted immediately into a file called "Shockwave Flash NP-PPC". Now, being as I have Classic installed, it thinks this file is a Netscape Browser (from inside Classic) plug in of some kind so only thinks Netscape can open it through Classic, when it does it just gives me a page of gobbledygook (rubbish/random lines of code!).

How exactly to I use and install this file?
How do I get to open IE from inside Classic?...as it currently opens in OS X normally? I have Classic installed.

So two things for you to think about, why does anything on the Mac not load this page properly?
and
How do I install that strange Flash file?

Thanks all! :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
ok

1. try clean the cookies and caches of firefox and try again

2. try a different network environment, maybe ur connection has some temporary problem

3. try a firefox on windows,

3.1. if firefox on windows does not work, then u need to use windows (probably they updated their website, so firefox is no longer supported)

3.2. if firefox on windows works, then firefox on mac should work too. to test:

3.2.1. rename your firefox profile folder (~/library/application support/firefox)

3.2.1.1 if rename works, then go ahead, copy your bookmark and password to the new profile, u need to re-install extensions and themes

3.2.1.2. if rename doesn't work, then firefox on mac does not support it, u need to go find a windows machine.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I've tried all that, unfortunately no such luck.

I already know Windows supports it fine anyway, whichever browser I choose. Last year only Firefox worked on my Mac, now nothing works.

Any help on opening IE for Mac insie Classic and installing that pluggin file?
When I run IE it just opens it in OS X normally, but says no flash player is installed, but when I download the flash player compatible with it, I cannot figure out how to install it, as it's possibly a Classic file??

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I've tried all that, unfortunately no such luck.

I already know Windows supports it fine anyway, whichever browser I choose. Last year only Firefox worked on my Mac, now nothing works.

Any help on opening IE for Mac insie Classic and installing that pluggin file?
When I run IE it just opens it in OS X normally, but says no flash player is installed, but when I download the flash player compatible with it, I cannot figure out how to install it, as it's possibly a Classic file??

i doubt the old IE will do any good in your situation, for your situation, I think installing windows with parallel or bootcamp might be the only good way.

You might try install IE6 through crossover office, which, have half chance of succeed (if the website doesn't require any activex type stuff).

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Ye, the problem being that I have a PowerBook, and not an Intel based Mac, and my older Windows laptop is in repair as it keeps overheating, with a battery that lasts the best part of 1 minute and a build quality that makes the screen fall off if you pick it up! (Bit of a contrast to my PowerBook!).

I'd love a more mobile cheap Windows laptop or even an Intel based Mac to replace my PowerBook, but it ain't gonna happen! With not having any money and all! lol!

The Crossover Office sounded good, but again requires an Intel Mac.
Anyone have a spare one and feeling generous?!?!

Thanks guys.

Tedi

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
Same issue

I'm facing the same problem since some weeks ago :( This happens both in different laptops using linuxs and mac and from several networks.

Any clue? A part of switching to windows...

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I found no solution so far. Everything I have tried just doesn't work, short of just doing it on a Windows machine.

To think, they actually still do this whole Windows only thing? Theres just no excuse for it these days for a website like that.

adabc00l

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2007
temporary work around to cisco netacad with firefox and other browsers

I found a thread to this same matter. Please check out the following excerpt, and the source ink below....

I used the original link just now, http://cisco.netacad.net/cnams/public/Login.jsp and it worked just fine for me. So to anyone attempting to get this repaired, please give Cisco a call. It would appear this has been an issue on their end for quite some time. The more people we get to complain about this issue the quicker the resolutions.

1-888-327-1116 is the number for Cisco Netacad support, they will need your user id. The more people we get to report this issue, the quicker the response on resolution!

http://ofactor.wordpress.com/2006/10/01/how-to-access-the-cisco-networking-academy-with-your-mac/

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks a lot. That's a real help.

Works perfectly for me and some of my other friends suffering from the same problem!

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
I am one of 2 mac guys in my CCNA class and i can't log on using Safari or FireFox and have to use Parallels. The other guy can use FireFox/Opera fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.