Cisco to turn power grids in to smart IP based monitored networks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, May 19, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Smart grids, huh?
    The singularity creepeth ever nearer upon fog shrouded cat's paws as we sleep. ;-)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't even know what either of you just said, but "sweet".

4. angelneo macrumors 68000

If we can transmit data through these power lines, can we use it for regular networking? :D

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So the market for these electricity usage monitoring devices will create a market of $20 billion a year? Where is this money coming from? The energy user? The only benefit they would get from this is that they know they are helping the environment by letting the electricity grid monitor their load more effectively.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

In the UK the government will be forcing the installation of smart metres to better manage energy use and billing.

3 guesses how these smart metres will be talking back to HQ.

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Prior to the popularity of wi-fi, you could do this in your own home....newtork your computers using the power outlets in your house instead of running cat-5 cable.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

So, given the way the UK has been going, I guess the next step will Big Brother telling you where to set your thermostat.

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm all for it. Energy companies have been guessing at peoples bills for far too long. I just want to be billed my actual usage, and no more. When they have live readings there will be no excuse.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I totally agree but lets see how you (we) feel about it when they bill us more for this new and forced 'service'. Lets not pretend that we won't end up being ripped off for this in one way or another.
    Maybe slightly off topic but I think it's wrong that services which are vital to our daily lives, such as electricity/heat/etc should be SO profitable.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

There's a really good reason for a "smart" energy grid: the possibility of increased installation of solar power panels at each individual residence.

As such, since solar power panels can also send power back to the grid you need very intelligent power management to control what amounts to many thousands of very small energy producers among the grid in one metropolitan area. And it will be even more true as each residence may also have its own energy storage system in form of a battery that uses something like ultracapacitors for power storage.