Cisco VPN and RDP on 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buckydgoat, Jun 25, 2009.

1. buckydgoat macrumors newbie

I can connect to my VPN using the cisco client on the iPhone 3G after updating to 3.0, but I can't VNC or RDP into any machine. WiFi works with no problem, just when I'm on 3G or EDGE. Anyone else having this problem too?

2. thep33t macrumors regular

vpned to the cisco at work, typing this through vnc...

3. buckydgoat thread starter macrumors newbie

were you using 3G or EDGE? 'Cause it works on WiFi...

4. buckydgoat thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that Apple has added compression to the 3G/EDGE connection to to make the user experience of Safari faster. I’m thinking the WiFi connection is not compressed and that is why it works for me with no issues.
    This compression may not have been in iPhone 2.x.

Can anyone confirm or have more insight?

5. UncleRobin macrumors newbie

Same thing here. Cisco VPN not working (makes a connection, but no traffic; RDP, VNC to VPN) on Edge (have original iPhone), working on WiFi. With 2.1 Cisco VPN on Edge worked fine.

UR

6. buckydgoat thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't believe only 1 person is having this problem. This is crutial to me being an IT professional and being able to be anywhere and remote in to our network and troubleshoot or reboot.

7. tangfred macrumors member

Works for me just fine. 3G + VPN + WinAdmin

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but where does one find the Cisco VPN client for iPhone? I've looked all over the App Store and can't find it...

9. tangfred macrumors member

It's built into the OS.
    Settings>General>Network>VPN

10. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Okay here is the problem I believe. When I am using the Cisco VPN on wifi DNS gets configured properly. When I go to edge/3g DNS is not properly configured so the only way to get to hosts is via the IP address. Try this out and I bet you will see. I logged this as a bug with Apple and they blew it off saying that Cisco Concentrator 3000 was not supported, which is a lie. I am contemplating using one of my dev direct support requests to get them to fix this. This has been an issue since the release of the Cisco functionality.

Hope this helps...

11. jporter67 macrumors newbie

vpn using ip address still doesn't work for me

I am still not able to use IP addresses. I get a connection error. It tells me the connection timed out. Please check your connectivity and connection settings and try again. I tried using Edge and 3G. I tried connecting to an internal switch via the safari and using the IP address. Works with Wifi in the office as that is an internal network. Just can't get it to work via 3G. Will try wifi from home later, but don't have high hopes. I use JaaduRDP. It worked great before I upgraded from 3G to a new Phone 3G S.

jp

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm able to connect to work via VPN and connect to the servers there via RDP with WinAdmin without issue on my 3GS. I also can load any intranet webpage through the VPN connection. I am also able to connect to anything at work over the VPN on my 3GS by both hostname and IP. Perhaps it's an issue with the IOS version running on your concentrator or PIX?

13. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I am able to VPN+3G+RDP and VNC. Maybe you have a routing issue on the Cisco device?

14. tangfred macrumors member

I've never witnessed the behavior you are describing, and I too am on a 3000 Concentrator.

GL

15. UncleRobin macrumors newbie