Cisco VPN issues on Iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Jul 15, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I'm getting no love with my Cisco VPN client on the Iphone 3G. It says " Status: Starting", but then it times out and says "The VPN Server Did Not Respond".

We're using RSA authentication, so I just put my user name, and no password in so it asks every time. Under the group name I entered in what normally goes in the "Authentication" section of the Cisco client you download and install on the Mac/PC and under secret I entered in my company's secret password which is also normally stored in the authentication.

I can not get it to connect.

A few things, I noted from the companies instructions that are not present on the Iphone:

Click the Transport tab and use the following values:
    Enable Transparent Tunneling: Checked
    IPSec over TCP: checked
    TCP Port: 10000

I don't have any options for any of these, are they by default on the iPhone, or not supported?

If not supported, what does my IT department need to do to allow iPhones to connect to VPN? I would love to be able to get to our Exchange 2003 server from my iphone, but can't without a valid VPN connection.

BTW, with RSA authentication, how often does Activesync need me to type in the token code? Can the VPN connection stay alive for quite some time as long as I have good 3G data reception?

2. Nimiety macrumors regular

I get the feeling that there are quite a number of people who have not gotten things working properly, although clearly some have.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1601766&tstart=0

I am hoping that either some better troubleshooting documentation comes out, or a patch / app that makes this much easier (and I'm a tech guy!!) to connect up eith better visibility.

N...

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Make sure that your Cisco VPN concentrator is running the latest version of its software. I believe the Cisco VPN implementation on the iPhone requires version 7 or above if you're using a Cisco PIX for VPN.

4. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

I have gotten it to work with my works config. It works great and even shows the splash screen my admins have programmed.

5. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

yup, it's working perfectly with my campus VPN. If I could only get it to stay connected while the iPhone is in standby...

6. Nimiety macrumors regular

Apparently, the IOS version of the cisco PIX is important - has to be 7.2.x or greater, and mine is 6.x, so I can't connect. The link above takes you to the discussion and another link to a small bit of Cisco documentation that explains this in (a little) more details.