Cisco VPN not working with Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Testify, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Testify macrumors member

Hi,

I just switched from a PC to a Mac and I can't get my work VPN Client Cisco to work.

I installed version 4.9.01 (0100) of the VPN Cisco Client. I succesfully imported my pcf file that I was using under windows.

When I'm trying to connect I type in the right login name and password and after trying to secure the connection, the VPN says 'Not Connected'

I ran the log option in the client and here is the last line of the log.

82 XX:XX:XX.XXX 03/22/2009 Sev=Info/4 IPSEC/0x4370000A
    IPSec driver successfully stopped

I don't want to install bootcamp and windows for work since I just paid alot of $$ to buy a Mac OS X machine.

Here is my home setup

I have a Airport extreme base station bridged on a Linksys router.
    I have an iMac 2009

Anyone has any clue?? I don't know what to do. :S

2. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Try it again with your OSX Firewall set to 'allow all incoming connections'. The Cisco VPN client won't work with the default settings on most firewalls.

If that works you can try trimming it down to just the needed ports (I think this includes UDP 500, UDP 4500, UDP 62515 and TCP 10000).

3. Testify thread starter macrumors member

My OS X firewall is already set up with 'allow all incoming connections'

:(

4. Queso macrumors G4

Do you know what type of Cisco device you're attempting to VPN to? The Dynamic Access Policies on an ASA can block non-Windows operating systems by demanding registry keys be present, and of course there is no registry on a Mac. Have a word with your network administrator.

5. Testify thread starter macrumors member

When I asked for the install image of the Cisco VPN for Mac from my work, I was told they weren't supporting for Mac.

Guess I'll have to run bootcamp unless someone has a miracle solution :(

6. Queso macrumors G4

Not supporting Macs is one thing, but they can still answer your questions. Ask if there is any "posture validation" taking place as computers connect, and what the validation is checking for. If there isn't then it cannot be the DAPs blocking you. Also make sure they are presenting IPSEC VPNs, which is what the Cisco VPN Client for Mac connects to. It's possible they are presenting over SSL, in which case you need Cisco AnyConnect for Mac instead.

7. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Hmm, does the rest of your log look anything like what is described in this topic?

I doubt your system administrators are specifically excluding Macs, but if they're the overly worried type then they might have that check for Cisco firewall in place. Which the Mac client doesn't have.

8. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

He is using VPN Client on Windows, so it's IPSEC..

9. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

The Cisco VPN Client runs fine inside VMware Fusion, Parallels or Virtualbox, so you can at least do your VPN work from your OSX desktop.

10. Queso macrumors G4

You're right. I skimmed the post and missed the reference to a PCF file. IPSEC it is then.