Citrix on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NYG1121, Jan 7, 2016.

1. NYG1121 macrumors newbie

Considering a macbook 1.2/516. Use is predominantly web, office, and using citrix to access electronic medical record. Can anyone help me out and let me know if the macbook is sufficient for this type of use? Thanks.

2. SqB macrumors 6502

You should be fine for that. I use a really old iMac to access Epic through Citrix and it works great. Just be sure to download the newest version of Citrix Receiver straight from the Citrix site. The one our IT department recommends is about 6 versions old and doesn't work with El Cap.

3. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I also use Citrix to access Epic. No problems here. Use it all the time.

4. NYG1121 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Citrix will do perfectly, but Remote desktop is nicer to work with imo

6. NYG1121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know. Any lag issues using Epic this way?

7. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

This is literally the exact thread i was going to start (but I don't have Epic yet.. 18 months to go...)

Think I'm gonna wait for the skylake rMB since things are going fine with my 2011 MBA for now, but I really just want a new toy and something smaller to bring with me for work/charting.

Can anyone tell me how the battery life is while running citrix? Using my MBA I'll probably get 4-5 hours at most running citrix until I'm really getting low.

8. NYG1121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I would like to know battery life question as well. I plan to use this all day going room to room.

9. NYG1121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Went ahead and purchased the rMB 1.2 model. This is almost designed perfectly for any physician who is looking for a portable computer to run EMR. I use Epic and went through an entire day seeing patients from 8-5 and still had 30% juice left. Speed is a non-issue and I have noticed no lag. Again, the concerns about speed are extremely overblown for the average user. And I also consider the keyboard a strength. Took about 2 hrs to adjust and now never looking back as it is extremely easy to type on. Hope this helps anyone else struggling with whether to purchase this or not. Go for it!