Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYG1121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Considering a macbook 1.2/516. Use is predominantly web, office, and using citrix to access electronic medical record. Can anyone help me out and let me know if the macbook is sufficient for this type of use? Thanks.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
You should be fine for that. I use a really old iMac to access Epic through Citrix and it works great. Just be sure to download the newest version of Citrix Receiver straight from the Citrix site. The one our IT department recommends is about 6 versions old and doesn't work with El Cap.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
This is literally the exact thread i was going to start (but I don't have Epic yet.. 18 months to go...)

Think I'm gonna wait for the skylake rMB since things are going fine with my 2011 MBA for now, but I really just want a new toy and something smaller to bring with me for work/charting.

Can anyone tell me how the battery life is while running citrix? Using my MBA I'll probably get 4-5 hours at most running citrix until I'm really getting low.

NYG1121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
This is literally the exact thread i was going to start (but I don't have Epic yet.. 18 months to go...)

Think I'm gonna wait for the skylake rMB since things are going fine with my 2011 MBA for now, but I really just want a new toy and something smaller to bring with me for work/charting.

Can anyone tell me how the battery life is while running citrix? Using my MBA I'll probably get 4-5 hours at most running citrix until I'm really getting low.

Yes I would like to know battery life question as well. I plan to use this all day going room to room.

NYG1121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Went ahead and purchased the rMB 1.2 model. This is almost designed perfectly for any physician who is looking for a portable computer to run EMR. I use Epic and went through an entire day seeing patients from 8-5 and still had 30% juice left. Speed is a non-issue and I have noticed no lag. Again, the concerns about speed are extremely overblown for the average user. And I also consider the keyboard a strength. Took about 2 hrs to adjust and now never looking back as it is extremely easy to type on. Hope this helps anyone else struggling with whether to purchase this or not. Go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.