Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Since I have a G5 Dual processor standing here resisting to sell it again since I have way too much machines
, I thought of turning it into a Xenserver to serve virtual Windows sessions to the Powerbooks .

I found this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/admincraft/comments/29rm68/mac_powerpc_xenserver_centos6_bukkit164/

and his screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/oonlQxt.png

and looks like there was a Power version ( prior to 3.2 ) for the IBM servers but also for a G5 ?

Anybody ever played around with this ? or even better found a version that can be installed ?

I only found a Demodisk which seems to be i386/x86 only , tried booting it on the G5 but no luck

https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives/legacy-xen-series/xen-303/demo-cd.html

icarus523

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
He says:
"I used Boot Camp to add an OS to the machine and then installed XenServer. The install was successful with almost no issues after the fact. Out of three drives on the machine, I only have one to work with though."

Don't think he was using a powerpc mac, as bootcamp only refers to intel macs.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Since I have a G5 Dual processor standing here resisting to sell it again since I have way too much machines, I thought of turning it into a Xenserver to serve virtual Windows sessions to the Powerbooks.
I'm certain the poster in that Reddit thread is mistaken and actually has a Mac Pro. A PowerPC CPU can't virtualize Windows. It can run emulators, but cannot virtualize operating systems for Intel x86 CPUs.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
There was a PPC version , heavily pushed by IBM back in the days :

( from wikipedia )
Target processors[edit]
The Xen hypervisor has been ported to a number of processor families.

• Intel: IA-32, IA-64 (before version 4.2[45]), x86-64
  • PowerPC: previously supported under the XenPPC project, no longer active after Xen 3.2[46]
He might have used Bootcamp on an Intel machine to create a VM image ?

Anyhow, I've registered on Reddit and sent a message to the author for more info.

One can only dream ...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
There was a PPC version , heavily pushed by IBM back in the days :

( from wikipedia )
Target processors[edit]
The Xen hypervisor has been ported to a number of processor families.

• Intel: IA-32, IA-64 (before version 4.2[45]), x86-64
  • PowerPC: previously supported under the XenPPC project, no longer active after Xen 3.2[46]
That this existed for PowerPC does not mean that it could virtualize x86 operating systems.

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Well so far it looks like the author on Reddit had an Intel motherboard build into a G5 case, still waiting on more details.

Installed XenServer 7 in the meanwhile on an Intel Nuc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.