Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malikk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hello,
Does anybody know of any good mac games that are city-building/micromanagement type games for mac? Or for windows too (although I am running windows 7 under parallels so that may be an issue). I am playing Settlers 7 right now a little but I don't like the victory points idea. I enjoy Civilization game series. But that does not delve into the actual city in terms of building it the way settlers 7 does. I would enjoy it being more modern city-building. Most of the city-building games like settlers 7 and such (as far as i know) deal with building farms/blacksmiths etc. I wouldn't mind one that gets up to more modern techs and such. So any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Qua Sar

malikk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
well simcity does not deal with trade and all the stuff that settlers 7 and civilizations also deal with. I guess I am looking for civilizations type game but where you control a city like in settlers 7. Idk if it exists with that much freedom/management though.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
City Building games, mostly Windows

Mac:
- Colonization (Sid Meier's Civ IV version). Either via Steam or on CD. The cities in this game are more Civilization-like (not surprisingly).

Under Parallels, you may get reasonable speed with these games as they are several years old:
Caesar IV
Glory of the Roman Empire
Sim City Rome

The games above all have you laying roads, building buildings, and allow you to roam around your creation.

There are also many older games, mostly Windows, that are clunkier but you may enjoy:
Caesar III
Children of the Nile

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
If you can tolerate OnLive's streaming performance, you can try Patrician IV, Tropico 3, and a few others. [I suffered through horrible connections while trying to play King's Bounty during their recently-ended subscription service beta; too much squinting at fuzzy text for me.]

In addition, a lot of the gritty, in-depth city builders you're talking about are Windows-only, so if you can get Windows up you should look through Steam and/or Paradox Interactive's catalog.

citybuilder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Windows City Building Games for Mac

Any one who wants to play old Windows games such as Caesar III, Cleopatra/Pharaoh, Emperor, or any of those others and more, need to go to paulthetall.com. I am now playing Caesar III, Cleopatra/Pharaoh, and Emperor, Rise of the Middle Kingdom because of this site. The site is pretty self-expanitory and he has video tutorials on how to install the games. I really recommend that all interested check it out.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Any one who wants to play old Windows games such as Caesar III, Cleopatra/Pharaoh, Emperor, or any of those others and more, need to go to paulthetall.com. I am now playing Caesar III, Cleopatra/Pharaoh, and Emperor, Rise of the Middle Kingdom because of this site. The site is pretty self-expanitory and he has video tutorials on how to install the games. I really recommend that all interested check it out.

Paul is a good guy... puts in a lot of work getting Windows games running on OSX. If there are any bugs in Wineskin, I'm always sure he'll let me know if I haven't found them myself, since he uses it for many things... and he does great video tutorials too explaining how to get games working. I have links to his website in the Manual and the front page over at the main Wineskin Website.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Tropico 3 sounds like it fits the bill pretty well.

I got the Demo for it ported easily with Wineskin a few months ago... I don't still have the wrapper, but it should be easy enough for anyone to do themselves... much better than needing Windows.

Ronald Williams

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
i have only played sim city upto now, but got bored from it after playing it a lot....:D, looking forward to try some of them listed here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.