City noises & bad sleep

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBX, Dec 21, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi all,

hope you're doing fine. I wanted to see if there are (i'm sure) any other people with these experiences.

I live in NYC for 3 years now and previously i was in a quieter neighborhood but moved to a different location recently. Of course you never know how noisy it really is until you live for a while at a new place.

So far pretty much every second or third night of mine has been restless since a few months. I get woken up either by random morons driving their cars with full-blast music in the middle of the night, the neighbors aside in the same building having loud sex at 3am or fighting or the neighbors above moving around their furniture past midnight and other crap like this.
    Last night the neighbors underneath me decided to put on music around 3am again. I know it's saturday but seriously it's 3am and it's not in a club.

What's wrong with so many people in this regard? I always respect other people in the building and do not make any noises past 10pm, not even on weekends but i'm so getting sick of everybody and being tired all the time because of these *******s. And i also don't wanna be the bitchy neighbor.

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

I used to have the same trouble when I lived in the city. The buses would park near by, as well as the police being called out or some argument happening outside. When I would stay at friends outside of the city I would be shocked at how quiet it was I could hear the sound of nothingness.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thankfully I live out in the country, even our place abroad is in the outskirts of a generally quiet town. But my girlfriends place is near a uni and its packed with houses. Find that I need to be really tired out to be able to sleep. Even having the neighbours turn a light on really gets on my nerves :eek:

4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

rude neighbors you can do something about. talk to them perhaps?

as for the general city noise... i find it hard to sleep without it now. i grew up in chicago. not far from a fire station. metra close by... etc. your body will adjust with time more than likely. but there is always a period of adjustment.

when i was away in school out in no where... i had a hell of a time sleeping every night because of the quietness. at least the nights that i was quiet, was a college down afterall... but still you see my point.

certainly talk to the rude neighbors though. imo.

6. gjw4u macrumors 6502

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

i don't know about the other situations, but for the loud sex neighbours, i'd wait until the next time you see then and launch a comment about the loud sex. ie. if they were at it that morning, "wow....good to see you guys up and about b/c after last night, i thought you'd be sleeping all day...that was a loud marathon. "

other than that, earplugs.

i used them when my kids were small. worked like a charm.

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

I put on the air conditioner fan even in the Winter. Love the white noise!

9. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

i use ear-plugs every night.

unfortunately it doesn't cancel out 100% of the noise and you can still hear a lot if you're sensitive with sleep situations.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You just get used to it eventually.

I can sleep anywhere. Just don't think about the noise.

11. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I used to have horrible problems with noise during dorm life; I eventually accepted the lesser of the available evils and starting using ear plugs and a noise machine. I'm still sensitive, but now sleeping is not so anguishing an experience.

It's also worth trying out a couple different kinds of earplugs. The first box I bought were rubbery and hard; they hurt the narrow canals in my ears. I picked up some Hearos some while later and find they're a bit more comfortable.

Talking with my neighbors rarely does me any good. Unless they're super empathetic, you really have to make yourself a pest in order to make being considerate worth their while. Whether that means knocking on their door repeatedly, banging on the wall, or blaring music back at them, they're gonna think you're an *******, and all their friends and possibly everyone else in your building will think so too. Not worth it IMO.

12. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I had the same problem when I first moved to NYC. I lived in the East Village and couldn't take the noise, so I moved to Brooklyn and have been sleeping soundly ever since.