Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
That's good news. Unfortunately, I agree with the TUAW article about Macs and Boot Camp. In a year or two, there won't be a need for Mac ports anymore and its too bad Cider wasn't created a few years ago. I'll be picking up CoH for sure but it will be for Windows.

0makol16

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
Diamond Bar, California
thats great news for macs, now there is more than just WoW and a good mmo on mac. i played that game for awhile using bootcamp and it's very fun and had fantastic customization with costumes and powers. but i would rather see ncsoft release guild wars on mac instead, hopefully they do that soon too.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Guild Wars works in Crossover Games. Codeweaver supports it as one of the primary games that works. I've played it a little, though the game turned out to not interest me that much.

A client for CoH/V is almost enough to get me back to playing... almost.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
That's good news. Unfortunately, I agree with the TUAW article about Macs and Boot Camp. In a year or two, there won't be a need for Mac ports anymore and its too bad Cider wasn't created a few years ago. I'll be picking up CoH for sure but it will be for Windows.

I will never do that. How can you ENJOY dual booting? Why the hell would you even use a Mac if your gonna dual boot that much to play an MMO. Mac native all the way.

This may be a good sign showing gaming companies are realizing the mac market share is growing.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Too little, too late. CoX should have done this a year or two ago. Why bother now? The game was a ghostland the last time I checked it out. But maybe the hardcore Mac fanboys who will ONLY play a native Mac game will latch onto this and boost the population an ever so tiny bit.

I will never do that. How can you ENJOY dual booting? Why the hell would you even use a Mac if your gonna dual boot that much to play an MMO. Mac native all the way.

This may be a good sign showing gaming companies are realizing the mac market share is growing.

Well. Here's why I LOVE dual booting: Call of Duty 4. I bought the Aspyr port. It runs... OK. I get about 30-40fps with it with dips down towards 20fps, but if I enable AA? I might break 20fps if I'm lucky, but it stays closer to 17fps. Then I bought the PC version through Steam. All settings are one notch higher, and with 4xAA and I get a pretty solid 60fps. So I can either play at a jaggy, uneven 35fps or a crisp, smooth 60fps. Until Mac ports are actually on par performance-wise to the original Windows version, I'll stick with the slight annoyance of dual booting.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
So, what's the general consensus? Is it a good game? Why hasn't it been more successful?

Quick perusal of their website seems like it could be fun. I'm signing up for beta.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I'd be thrilled, but it's yet another Cider port! Cider ports will never work as well as native OS X ports, like WoW or Aspyr's games. At least the game is a bit old so it should work fine, but we'll see.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Well, it is better than nothing.

With time Cider should get better and better, and maybe if the numbers start to appear devs will make native ports like Blizzard do.

In any case, constant dual-booting to play a game is too annoying.

Especially for casual type 'let's just see how my auctions are doing' play.
I did that with LoTRO for a few months and it was just too much.

I ended up living in Windows for most of the time till I just couldn't stand it anymore and came back to WoW just for the native port.

So any Cider port that allows me to stay in OS X is better than nothing for me.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
So, what's the general consensus? Is it a good game? Why hasn't it been more successful?

Quick perusal of their website seems like it could be fun. I'm signing up for beta.

CoX tanked because it started out as a purely PvE game. Then they tried desperately to shoehorn in PvP. The subsequent balancing pretty much ruined the feeling of being a superhero in PvE. Then they figured that since the game has no gear which means no reason to grind which means since they pretty much never introduced actual new powersets (mainly just rehashes of previous sets) people tended to get bored with rerolling new toons, they needed to introduce a gear grind. I barely played after introduction of random gear drops, but it seemed as lackluster as their attempt at PvP.

The devs basically lost all vision of why people were playing in the first place which is to feel like a super hero. They failed to bring out new powersets on a regular basis. Costume customization can only keep people playing so long. There were countless powerset suggestions, but all they did was introduce a couple and then mix up the existing sets.

The game is pretty fun if you have a good group to play with though. But overall I found the lack of proper endgame to really make hitting max level a true anticlimax.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
That pretty much sums up why I quit playing, too. CoV was somewhat fun for a while because of the new powers there, but it didn't last as long for me as CoH did.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
When did you guys stop playing?

The last few issues seem to have been making great strides towards answering the community's gripes.

From the videos on YouTube it looks fun.

I'll give it a try in any case. I really need a breath of fresh air from WoW and LoTRO is a piece of horse manure. I'm not into PvP so WAR is out.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne

The last few issues seem to have been making great strides towards answering the community's gripes.

I'll give it a try in any case. I really need a breath of fresh air from WoW and LoTRO is a piece of horse manure. I'm not into PvP so WAR is out.

The latest issues have been good. I'm really looking forward to i13, myself.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007

I stopped playing a little while after CoV came out. I was pretty much done by that point, but stuck it out a little longer for the villains. I think I resubbed for a month or two a bit after that as well. Knowing how much I loved the game I'll probably sub again at some point. It's just heartbreaking to know what tanking used to be like in Issue 3 and to see where it was the last time I played. I'll probably just have to roll a Blaster, ignore everything the Tank says, and constantly "accidentally" snipe a mob before the Tank's ready. That is what Blasters do still right? ;)

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I stopped playing the first time a few months after CoV came out. I switched to WoW for about 4-5 months and quit just before Burning Crusade came out. I went back to CoX for a few more months, and I think spring of 2007 I quit again. I haven't really seen any reason to go back again.

Now the Champions Online game in the works I intend to try when it comes out. It has a lot of the original crew from CoH on it. I believe the Champions game is going to be the game they really wanted to do for CoH but didn't have the experience or the "clout" to do it. So hopefully this game will be what CoH should have been. Of course, it probably won't be out for a Mac, but I don't mind using Windows for games.

kahine

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I'll reboot anytime necessary for games , after trying the Cider/wrapper games and seeing the performance difference it's no option for me

I'd much prefer to be playing in OS X , but only native , Blizzard/actually OS X coded type games , that run great in OS X ,

Played CoH at launch, the sheer boring grind past 30 got too much for me , was fun for a while though

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Well, to be fair a lot seems to have changed over the years.

Lately they have specifically noted they made a strong press to smoothe out the XP curve, make it faster, and add content at mid-levels to support this.

Everything I see about this game intrigues me more.

I am still wary, since it looks like it should have been a blockbuster and yet wasn't, so something might be missing...

But I'll install it and see. If it does live up to what I think it can be it'll be amazing.

jsgrabo

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
im stoked! i love coh. i played from like i3 till about i11 and ive been on wow for a couple of months now for a little change. i'll definitly play again when it comes to the mac.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Lately they have specifically noted they made a strong press to smoothe out the XP curve, make it faster, and add content at mid-levels to support this.

Wow. Exciting...

Sorry. Leveling was never the problem. The complete and utter lack of endgame content was. My first toon to hit 50 was exciting. For about an hour or so. Then I rerolled. My second too to 50 was an annoyance because all through that last level I was trying to figure out exactly what I was going to make as soon as she hit 50. I never hit 50 again. I tended to just delete toons once they got to the mid 40s or so. There just didn't seem like any point it taking them all the way to 50.

So is there actual endgame now? If so I might just resub, but otherwise...

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Fingers crossed they do the same for Star Trek Online.

Although it won't happen at launch, I also hope it does get ported to the Mac. It's not impossible to have a simultaneous launch (e.g. Blizzard).

eviltobz

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
i'm looking forward to this. currently i have a sub sitting on my bootcamp partition on my mac pro, but i can never be bothered to boot into windows so it doesn't get played. having a mac client will likely get me dipping my toes into the murky waters of the crime ridden paragon city once again :)

i hope that i won't need to pay anything extra for the client as i'm already subbed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.