Civ 5 and 2011 MBA Ultimate

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JR1993, Aug 29, 2011.

1. JR1993 macrumors regular

Hello

I have the 2011 13" MBA Ultimate i7. I would like to get Civ 5, but I dont want to spend money on a game that doesnt work. I have tried searching this forum but cant find anything on Civ 5, just 4.

Has anyone tried this game on their i7 MBA? Is it good or should I stay away.

Thanks

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

3. racketeer71 macrumors regular

I have such a computer, and have played Civ5 on it.

Works pretty well. I've been playing it in Windowed mode around 1440x1050 or something on my 27" LED Cinema without trouble. Most graphics settings default to "Low". Your MBA will get pretty hot, though.

It runs smoothly and fast. I haven't experienced slowdowns, which might be due to the fact that I quit the game after around 120 turns since it sucks big time compared to previous Civ games.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As with Civ 4, you will be fine in the early game. Once you reveal more of the map and start watching your opponents' moves it will slow down significantly.

5. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... I think I will leave it then. Im not sure I would even like the game, or have time to play it, so sounds like a waste to me.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you wanted to play demanding games on your computer, the "waste" was buying a MBA in the first place.

7. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

No it definitely wasnt. I dont 'want' to. It would be nice, but I have an xbox 360. I just considered buying the game and wondered if it would work. If I wanted to play demanding games, im not stupid enough to buy a MBA.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Try Civ4. It is very entertaining and plays very well on the MBA.

And I've been playing Jedi Outcast II and lovin it... :D

9. honggil macrumors member

Hey guys, how much do the fans kick in when you play games??? Are the *very* fans hear-able? Thanks in advance!

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, they are not. There are some folks with some uber-sensitive hearing on this forum. Either that or I have excessive ear wax inside my ears, because even at 5000rpm all I hear is a faint "woooooshhhh".

I guess it is all relative. I still have a 8-9 year old Dell XPS Gen 2 desktop computer I use for Folding@home. I have the fastest AGP video card they make, and use the GPU client to fold. The minute I start folding the fan kicks in full blast. THAT is loud. I can barely carry on a conversation sitting next to it. It is actually kind of amusing. On my Dell XPS 720H2C I can set the fans to 100% to get the same effect.

On the MBA, not so much. :cool:

11. michaelz, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

michaelz macrumors regular

I have 13" MBA i7 4GB and CIV 5. It runs very well but I can't stand the fan noise.

12. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Have you played this a lot, as in the map opened up. As you can see from comments above, it is playable until the map opens up, then it gets a bit slow.

Could you please tell me how you have found the mba ultimate and civ 5 combination? Thanks

13. vegtro macrumors newbie

The game is playable, but on low. It's around 20-30 fps depending on what you are doing. It does get more sluggish as time goes by due to expansion.

14. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

so is it 20-30 fps at the beginning, or as time goes on?

if it is at the beginning, what fps are we talking as time goes on?

thanks

15. vegtro macrumors newbie

20-30 fps in the beginning. As time goes by due to expansion and improvements to your lands, I would say you lose an avg of 3-5 fps. The game is still playable, but you'll get a few stutters here and there due to game being rendered. It's a turn based game so twitchy movement is not needed and just enjoy the game if you are a fan of Civ.

16. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Maybe subjective, but I found playing CiV on a 13" screen sucked all the fun out of the game. It's playable, I just didn't find it very enjoyable, kept asking myself why I wasn't playing it on my Win gaming box.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

a) Civ V > Civ IV.

b) It runs, but only just.