Civ II Help

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by elor, Jun 27, 2007.

1. elor macrumors newbie

hey guys, i need help installing Civ II (yes, i know its old) on my mac. When i go to the cd it won't let me open the installer which i assume is because of the difference in OS. is there a way to install it??? im not quite sure and would really appreciate if someone could help me. thanx

2. hsotnicaM macrumors regular

I believe Civ II is OS 9, not OS X. Which machine are you trying to put it on. (BTW - Civ is my favorite game, so far) If you have a newer machine you will have to use Civ III or IV. Civ IV is totally different than any other - lots of details.

3. elor thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the iMac. but i would think there is someway to install civ II and be able to play it. i hope.

4. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

When did you get the iMac? Recently/is it Intel? If it is, you can't run Civ II for the Mac. It only runs under "Classic" OS 9, which doesn't work on Intel iMacs.

Do you have a copy of Windows? If you install with Apple's Boot Camp (free download), you could buy a Windows copy of Civ II and run it there.

If not, as hsotnicaM suggests, Civ III is fairly like Civ II.

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

Some Civ II fanatics would probably get hostile and start claiming that II is far superior to III. Me, I like them all!

As for getting it to run, isn't there a few Classic/PPC emulators (Sheepsaver and basilisk IIRC)? I've not tried them, but they might be capable of running CivII.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Not too sure about the speed you'll get off it, but Civ II will work quite happily under both Sheepshaver and Basilisk. For Basilisk, I used to play it on my Performa 630 so it will work under Mac OS 7.5.3 which is a free download off Apple's website. For Sheepshaver you'll need OS8.5 or higher.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not sure from your post if you have the intel iMac or not also is the version of Civ 2 a mac or PC version, if it is the mac version then you will need an emulator if you are on intel or a PowerPC Mac with OS 9 or Classic on it. if you have a PC version of it then if you have an intel Mac you can install windows on it to play it your other option if it is a PC version and you have a PowerPC Mac is to get a copy of an old version of windows and install it in an emulator., I think that it ran on windows 3.1 so that would probably run the fastest in an emulator and you can get it going in DOSBOX.

8. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I hesitated to suggest Sheepshaver, as setup & operations aren't for the faint of heart (in my experience).

9. Enderommel macrumors newbie

Any luck with Civ2 on OSX imac?

I am wanting to play Civ2 on my new imac (intel processor OS 10.5.7) And was wondering if you found a way to install and play it on your imac?

10. savvos macrumors regular