Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celesfar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hello

This is a bit of an odd one, but it seems that Civ IV saves its settings in a place entirely invisible to me. I uninstall it via steam, reinstall and I still see all my old settings in place.

Not only do I see all my settings come back, but also it insists on switching to Dvorak. I haven't used Dvorak for months now, so I'm not sure why it keeps coming back to it. But it doesn't matter how many times I uninstall, delete all kinds of folders and when I reinstall it seems to just go back to the same settings.

I even ran locate -i civ just to be sure but found nothing of value either that might point to where this mysterious setting lives.

Where exactly does it keep its settings?

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Do a Spotlight search for civ, it'll probably find a folder tucked away in your Library folder somewhere.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Have you tried "Delete Local Content..." from the contextual menu on the Library tab of the Steam app?

I assume you've tried deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ4.plist and the attendant lockfile?

Apart from that, Civ 5 has a file called "UserSettings.ini". Perhaps try searching for that?

celesfar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Have you tried "Delete Local Content..." from the contextual menu on the Library tab of the Steam app?

I assume you've tried deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ4.plist and the attendant lockfile?

Apart from that, Civ 5 has a file called "UserSettings.ini". Perhaps try searching for that?

Done all of the above and I'm confused as hell still.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
OK, this is my last suggestion. Sorry...

All your user data is stored in ~/Documents/Civilization IV/ including the CivilizationIV.ini and a backup. Try trashing that file?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Maybe your settings are being saved in the Steam Cloud and simply being reinstalled every time. If Steam Cloud is enabled for this game, disable it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.