CIV IV with or without Steam on Lion MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nph, Aug 14, 2011.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

What works the best and takes the least space?

Thanks

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Assuming you're okay with CIV IV's horrible performance (big time) on Macs, I'd go with the Mac App Store approach. Steam runs in the background and takes up some system resources even while a game is running. The MAS does not. You can't close Steam either while a game is running.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Though you'll overpay on the MAS. Steam often has Civ IV with all expansions and colonization for less than 10$. MAS charges 20$ for just the base game.

Steam doesn't take up a lot of ressources and Civ IV runs flawlessly at 2048x1152 on my MBA 13".

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All of the Civ games are going to lag at some point or another in your game once your Civ gets big. It doesn't really make a difference which route you go.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

My current Japan world conquest game that is around 2030 A.D. with the space race won and about 80% of the world surface mine doesn't lag at all on my 13" MBA.

You guys really need to play Civ IV again... it's an old game, it's not demanding at all.

6. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Hah. I was thinking of Civ V. My bad. :p

7. beeman07 macrumors newbie

Steam version of Civ.IV runs fine on my two year old MacBook Air. I had to reduce the graphics and occasionally the game play got sluggish, but overall the experience was not painful.

And I have to agree with a previous post that Steam is the way to go if you catch one of their deals. I think I paid all of $7.50 or so for Civilization IV Complete last month.

AND, if you ever get stuck on a Windows box for a long period of time, Civ. IV is one of the many Steam titles that lets you install both the Windows and Mac versions of the game on as many machines as you'd like. (You just can't use more than one installation at the same time.)