Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hi everyone,

I've been playing cIV a bit recently and had a few questions. I've been able to resolve most on my own, but one thing is still confusing me.

Whenever a game is over, a screen comes up that says "Your Place in History," which gives you your score and compares to a real world historical leader. Anyway, my score here is always reported as lower than it is during the actual. Furthermore, even if I win a conquest victory, I'm compared to some idiot like Dan Quayle.

Now, I am playing on settler difficulty. If I play at higher difficulty levels, will I get higher scores and be compared to better leaders, even if I win in the same manner?

Thanks in advance for helping,
Will

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Now, I am playing on settler difficulty. If I play at higher difficulty levels, will I get higher scores and be compared to better leaders, even if I win in the same manner?

Of course you will. Its been a long time since I've played Civ but I think Settler was the easiest difficulty. Try other difficulties and your score will skyrocket.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Hi everyone,

I've been playing cIV a bit recently and had a few questions. I've been able to resolve most on my own, but one thing is still confusing me.

Whenever a game is over, a screen comes up that says "Your Place in History," which gives you your score and compares to a real world historical leader. Anyway, my score here is always reported as lower than it is during the actual. Furthermore, even if I win a conquest victory, I'm compared to some idiot like Dan Quayle.

Thanks in advance for helping,
Will

Your score is lower because it is normalized, i.e. it is adjusted based upon the parameters of the particular game you played (difficulty level, map size, etc.). The reason you're being rated at Dan Quayle is probably due to the idea that you are focusing too much energy on one area, disregarding some areas. For example, you might put much effort into military production while ignoring your civ's culture. In my experience, I have found games with attention to almost all aspects of the game earn the highest scores. Keeping this in mind, I typically score Henry VIII at the end of the game, usually by culture or space victories.

As for difficulty level, settler is fairly bad to play at. You will want to play at the warlord level to maximize your score with the least penalty in increased difficulty. When you become more experienced, You may want to increase the level by three levels each time you play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.