Civil Engineering Softwares on Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Black&White, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Black&White macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for your attention ...

How are the civil engineering softwares such as ETABS,SAFE,SAP2000 & ... with BootCamp on macbook Air 2013?
    Are they good and smooth functioning?

Please Compare i5 & i7 in this Subject ...

Thanks ...

2. chabig macrumors 68040

They are the same as they are on Windows. That's what Boot Camp is all about. More precisely, a MacBook is much nicer than most PC laptops, so it probably runs even better.

3. snapper64 macrumors regular

Looking at the system requirements for the software you listed a base model 2013 Air comfortably exceeds the minimum requirements so they will all run. I've never used any of them though so can't speak to performance.

It may be worthwhile considering a MacBook Pro depending on how often you plan to use the software and how complex (read processor intensive) your particular tasks are. Judging by the recommended specs you would certainly see performance improvements with a dedicated graphics card (see 15" MBP).

If you do choose a new Air I'd recommend the i7 with 8GB RAM.

4. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Not true what so ever.. I don't get where people come with stuff.

Similarly priced ultrabooks are right on par with the air

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

PC Magazine as of August 20, 2013, has the 13" MBA as #1 and 13" rMBP as #2 in their "Top 10 Best Laptops" article.

6. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

They are missing a few great ultrabooks

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

They might be, I have no idea. You had asked where people got these ideas that Mac laptops were so great and I pointed out a recent article as an example. :) Didn't even know the article existed until I did a search just before I posted. :)

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

Interesting that they used the i5/4gb/128gb model in that article. The i7 would be faster, and the 128gb SSD is also slower than the 256 or 512. Having 8gb of memory wouldn't hurt either.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A while back these expensive engineering software came with an unlock dongle, so the software can only be run on 1 machine at a time, that's the only problem I see, but am going to guess this old method of keeping things legit is been outdated.