Civil or Mechanical engineer? Need advice.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 66217, Feb 5, 2008.

1. 66217 Guest

Currently I am cursing Mechanical Engineer, and I am not enjoying it much. I like the difficulty level and how it asks more from you. But still, I feel like if I am missing something.

So after taking statics and mechanics of materials, I realized I like everything to do with it. And Civil Engineer is based on this on its majority.

So right now I am trying to decide what to do, but I don't want to make a decision I'll regret later. The things is: I think I would like better Civil Engineer, but I fear that by studying Civil Engineer my job opportunities would decrease a lot, since you especialize a lot in one particular thing.

With Mechanical Engineer I feel like the job opportunities are broader.

Any advice or comments?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Opportunities I would say are about the same. CE is a very very broad field and is called the mother of engineering. CE is more than just buildings. It is roads, water, environmental engineering, water sheds ect.

It is entire another bread in itself. Now you general will not be able to go into the same fields as other engineering because it seems to be the case companies either hire CE or everyone else.

I did CE for a 2.5 years then changed my major over to Construction technology where I got my degree and now work for a construction company.

I would recommend you got talk to your career center. They should have some test you can take that should be able help guild you decision. I would do that as soon as possible before you get to far invested in your program to be able to change.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like mechanical, but then again thats what i am.

civil you will need to get a pe most likely whereas mechanical it isnt as required

do you like moving things? if so stay mechanical

if you like boring non moving things go civil

i persoanlly found thermodynamics to be awesome as well as material science, and space engineering....all m.e. stuff

just my thoughts