Civilization IV, anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nooboob, Jan 14, 2012.

1. nooboob macrumors member

So I'm pretty bored and decided to bite on a purchase of a strategy game that will run decently without the fan blowing constantly. Currently on the newest 11.6'' MBA model and I was thinking about buying Civ IV.

I've already tried Civ V and no surprise, the performance is just terrible. The fan is cranked to maximum and the lag makes it unplayable... Which is why I'm considering the IV.

Does anyone have any experience with Civ IV on the MBA's? I know the previous gen of MBA has had Nvidia 320M, so it MIGHT be better suited for that machine as opposed to the newest gen.

Any input is appreciated.

2. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

I tried it on a 2009MBP and it worked fine (for the whole 10 mins I played it - not my kind of game) so it should work on the 2011 MBA fine.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, it works OK. I have the last version of CivIV on my MBA and it runs fine.
    I tried CivV and it was a waste of time, so I'll try again when I get my iMac in May or so.

4. Sythas macrumors 6502a

Sythas

I'm kind of happy to read that (not for you, but you know..) I had the same dilemma and I choose Civ IV... it works very good. Neverwinter Nights 2 too works ok.

5. ericDylan macrumors regular

I was actually thinking about getting civV, but, after reading this, I will probably get Civ IV.

I thought maybe I could run it on my 2010 13" MBA because I can run The Sims 3 on high settings perfectly fine.

Civ IV looks good though, plus, on the bright side, it is half the price.

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I bought Civ IV complete (all expansions + colonization) for 6$ on Steam when it went on sale once.

Runs flawlessly on the Air.

7. darkheroz macrumors member

civV

I played 500 turns on Civ V. In the begging is OK, but when open full map situation is bad, lag and almost unplayable. 1000$ computer 2011 model :(

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

The HD3000 was not designed with gaming performance in mind.

9. Alcibar macrumors newbie

Try the strategic view in Civ V. Eliminates the eye candy but should be quite playable.