OS X Civilization V - Retina Display Fuzziness

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Ason12, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Ason12 macrumors newbie

I've just purchased a 15" Retina MacBook Pro and decided to install my trusty ole Civ V on it, but I've run into kind of an odd issue. When I have it set to HiDPI mode everything is relatively clear, except for all text and the interface. Those are really quite fuzzy. I'm not sure what I should do? I've scoured the forums and have been unable to find a clear answer. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Aspyr-Blair macrumors 6502

Simply turn off HiDPI. You can still select the full retina resolution as Civ V works in retina natively.

3. Ason12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done that to no avail, the text and interface elements are still fuzzy.

4. Aspyr-Blair macrumors 6502

Hmm...give our support team a shout. They will be able to dig in for you.

Link for support is in my sig.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Is there a way to scale the text natively in HiDPI mode at least? I know the icon assets are probably a lost cause, but if the text in HiDPI mode could be sharp, that would go a long way. Once you've played Civ V in full 5K you are not likely to ever switch back, but in Non-HiDPI mode the UI is unusable of course.

PS. Big up to the last update that brought full Mod and Steamworks support! It's just amazing!

6. puelocesar macrumors member

I never got this to work well. When I disable HiDPI fonts are just too small for my eyes on 2880x1800. Aspyr support didn't really helped on this, but there's not much they can do I think, it's up to the developers to properly support HiDPI..

Anyway, to be able to see something and without most of the fuzziness, I'm running it on 1680x1050.

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

It just seems odd that the text would be rendered as if upscaled instead of just native point size.

8. Kissmyne, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

9. puelocesar macrumors member

Well, that's bad rendering for me. It's rendering the text with a smaller resolution and then upscaling the interface, instead of rendering it on the correct resolution.

10. puelocesar macrumors member

So I took a screenshot with 2880x1800 with HiDpi off, and now I understand what's happening. Let's say you have a game and you have a window with text in it with the size of 100x100. When you adapt your code to HiDPI, you can do two things: reimplement the window in 200x200 for retina devices, or use the same implementation and just scale it by 2x. Unfortunately it seems like they are using the latter.

I know because I already did something like that in the past in a MUCH smaller game, you have a deadline, your manager won't give you enough time to implement it the right way, so you do shortcuts..

Still, it's disappointing, as this game would benefit greatly from a proper retina optimization.