Civilization V - Video Card Question

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by dcasey628, Nov 25, 2010.

1. dcasey628 macrumors newbie

I feel like a dummy asking this question, but I need clarification.

According to the Minimum requirements for Civilization V, it lists the NVidia cards it supports.

Ref: Aspyr Support Page

I have a Geforce 9400. Does this mean in the Mac OS it is not supported?

It lists the 8600 card, but it would seem dumb that a newer card would be backwards compatible but I'm probably wrong.

Please help. Thank you!

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

"newer" doesn't mean better or faster...
    all of those cards listed are faster than a 9400m. Will the 9400m actually run it? more than likely it will, yes... but it might be quite poorly and you'll need to run a much smaller resolution. They choose not to support it... but supported and not supported doesn't mean works and doesn't work... it just means they won't support it, so if you have a problem and you have that GPU, you're on your own.

3. manymanyfish macrumors newbie

9400(m) works ok

I have an MBP with a 9400/9400m and just bought Civ V. when you first open the game it starts you out on really low resolution and the lowest of low graphic settings but after changing the graphics settings and restarting I discovered that it actually works when cranked up to full(high values for everything) at max resolution. It is a bit slow and won't show you have of the starting cinematic this way but it's serviceable. If you up the resolution and keep it in low graphic settings it should work fine. I would recommend you turn "fog of war" detail up to "high" though becausethe low setting really ruins the game experience(you'll understand better once you see it). But all in all set at moderate graphics levels a 9400 card works ok.

You will most definitely have to change your energy saver preferences to better performance instead of better battery life but like I say its serviceable.

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

The big problem you are likely to hit with Civ V is the CPU, it's not a particularly well coded game, even on Windows and once you have heavy AI activity going on even quad cores can get bogged down, it should run but expect juddering frame rates, especially later in the game.