Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Saw following ad on cl today, talked to a guy claiming to be a broke college student...

"aluminium 2.4Ghz macbook - $1000
Reply to:email@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: recently

still in warranty from apple until october. 250gb hard drive 2gb ram, 802.11 a/b/g/n, bluetooth, builtin iSight webcam, backlit keyboard, apple remote...

local pickup only, cash only. price is firm

call/text <local phone no.> for pics or info.."

Am supposed to meet him at a public place late this afternoon. Does this sound as a good of a deal as I'm thinking for $1K?

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.
Saw following ad on cl today, talked to a guy claiming to be a broke college student...

still in warranty from apple until october. 250gb hard drive 2gb ram, 802.11 a/b/g/n, bluetooth, builtin iSight webcam, backlit keyboard, apple remote...

Am supposed to meet him at a public place late this afternoon. Does this sound as a good of a deal as I'm thinking for $1K?

Good deal. If you don't want it for $1k, I'll take it for $1050 :)

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009

sounds like a great deal. i personally would be a little weary but if all seems well then go for it but i found a better deal, a 17 inch umbp 2.93 for 699 but he was in greece:p

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
this guy's in a little town 30 minutes away from my (kind of) city. we're supposed to meet at a starbucks in a public place across from the hospital. He's bringing the box, etc., and I've printed up a bill of sale for him to sign.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
this guy's in a little town 30 minutes away from my (kind of) city. we're supposed to meet at a starbucks in a public place across from the hospital. He's bringing the box, etc., and I've printed up a bill of sale for him to sign.

Nice, keep us informed. And good id with the bill of sale, never thought of making one when i go through c list what does it say?

P.S. i do alot of buying and selling with macs on c list so im interested in what it would say

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
I, ___________ do hereby certify that on this 26th day of May, 2009, I sold the Apple Unibody 2.4ghz Macbook, serial number _______________, to clyde2801 for the sum of $1000.00.

I certify that I am the lawful owner of said laptop, and agree to transfer any warranties, express or implied, to clyde2801, and transfer any other ownership interest to him.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I, ___________ do hereby certify that on this 26th day of May, 2009, I sold the Apple Unibody 2.4ghz Macbook, serial number _______________, to clyde2801 for the sum of $1000.00.

I certify that I am the lawful owner of said laptop, and agree to transfer any warranties, express or implied, to clyde2801, and transfer any other ownership interest to him.

Well written, thanks for showing it.

Jigsawjammer

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
NYC
I've seen some deals and what always worries me is that maybe they spilt something on it and are looking to get rid of it before there is a problem. Also the moisture stickers apple have inside will change color and void your warranty no matter what.

Why don't you have him also sign that he has never spilled anything on it in case you need to take him to The Peoples Court.

Am I being too paranoid...???

Jigsawjammer

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
NYC
sounds like a great deal. i personally would be a little weary but if all seems well then go for it but i found a better deal, a 17 inch umbp 2.93 for 699 but he was in greece:p

IF YOU CAN'T PHYSICALLY PICK UP YOUR MERCHANDISE OFF OF CRAIGSLIST THEN IT 99.99% OF THE TIME IS A SCAM!!!

sorry to yell...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
I've seen 3 college students dumping macbooks on cl lately, the other two are for the new in box 2ghz models. What could also be happening is that they're using their educational discounts for profit at the end of the semester.

Jigsawjammer

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
NYC
Fun173: I just wanted to make sure

Clyde: Can you check the serial # on apples site to see if anything comes up about the warranty or if its voided? I just want to know really for my own info.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
macbooks on cl

just now i looked at the boston cl and there are 3 extremely cheap macbooks, a 1099 2.4 umb but he calls it an "air"

A 1100 fully loaded 17 inch

A 15 inch 2.66 with 512 for 700

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Fun173: I just wanted to make sure

Clyde: Can you check the serial # on apples site to see if anything comes up about the warranty or if its voided? I just want to know really for my own info.

I appreciate it, some people actually do fall for that stuff and it must be horrible when you get scammed.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.