CL AMG wont crank over

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cantthinkofone, Jul 30, 2011.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Friend of mine called me today asking me if I could help him get a 2004 CL AMG started. The car's instruments will come on and cycle but it will not crank over. Trying to start it all the starter will do is click ones and then stop. Then the screen on the instrument panel says remove key. Tried jumping it with another vehicle but it wont do anything. Is there anything special about these cars? I have no trouble working on other cars but German vehicles I never mess with.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Some sort of starter relay problem? My Acura did the identical thing once - replaced the relay and it was fine.

3. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I haven't a clue. First time I have ever worked on a Mercedes. Is there a way to check on the relay? Will a standard OBD 2 reader read codes off these crazy cars? He said it did this before a month ago and he used a portable charger and it started right up. Drove it for 5 minutes and then turned it off and it's been sitting ever since. Reading some people say the crank position sensor being bad will keep it from starting but wouldn't it crank if it was bad? Just not fire.

I plan on replacing the battery with a known good one tomorrow and see if that works. I know somebody on here was asking about a BMW a while back about jump starting it. Said something about you can't jump start BMWs so I didn't know if Mercs were the same or if the computer thinks it's a toaster from sitting so long.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Honestly I don't really know either. It was just a similar situation - got all the dash lights, but only a click when trying to start. AAA tried to jump it, and it wouldn't do that either. So they loaded it onto a flat bed truck and took it to the shop - turned out to be a relay. $200 later and it was fine.

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Sounds like the started motor is dead. If you can locate it, give it a few hard taps w/ a screw driver (helps free up the motor's magnet if its stuck). If it starts up afterward that may be your problem.

6. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Turns out it was the battery. Replaced it with a known good one and it fired right up. Took it for a spin and it is a fast car. BTW, it's a CLK55 AMG, not the CL55 AMG.