All iPads Claim Soft Reset Deletes iOS 7 Download ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Oct 12, 2013.

1. OSMac, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

OSMac macrumors 65816

EDIT - This method may NOT work and you could lock up your iPad or worse!

Anyone staying on iOS 6 try this method to delete the auto iOS 7 download?
    See post by user nzzzzzz and reply on next page...
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5379403?start=0&tstart=0

His posted method is below, sounds risky as you actually have to start installing iOS7...

Method B: Open Settings->General->Software Update, Click "Install Now". There will be a prompt says "Verifying update...", Wait until this prompt disappear, there will be a spinning wheel on the black background. Immediately press and hold both of the power and home buttons at the same time. DO NOT release the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds. Your device will reboot. It's done. The automatically downloaded firmware will have been deleted. Now read part 1 to prevent automatically downloading in the future.

Then to stop it from downloading again, immediately check for updates manually .
    Instead of downloading the update it will just leave a button to download and install.

2. donnaw macrumors 65816

A soft reset as described in that post doesn't delete the download. I know because I have it on my iPad and I've had to soft reset a couple of times since it was downloaded.

I know a couple of people have posted that a reset of settings (back to factory I think) and then a restore from a backup should work. I'm going on vacation so I can't chance it yet. Maybe someone else can confirm.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is a lovely way to corrupt the current iOS installation and require an iTunes restore to fix. Do not ever force reset an iDevice when it is in any phase of installing an update.

4. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Not a soft reset on its own, but one done just after starting the iOS7 install... Did you try it that way?

I am not sure I want to risk losing iOS 6.
    See my original post I updated and posted the claim method...

----------

I agree, but I think the theory is if the reset is done at the right time as described by nvvvvvvv the download is flagged to delete and iOS 7 is not installed.

Its a gamble indeed and thats why I posted here to see if anyone else tried it or had comments on it.

I don't think it's a good idea to try, unless you have a extra iPad to test it on...
    but it is conceivable a soft reset done at the right time would work. Maybe...

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

Oh I misunderstood. Yeah, it's a gamble. I don't 7 on this iPad. It's a 2 and I'm giving it to my grandson. He's an Aspie and doesn't deal well with change and he's used to 6.

I'm thinking about a new 5. Not fond of 7 but I can live with it but I'm looking at other brands too. I have a bunch of $$ invested here but I'm a bit angry about the unasked for download. I mean, who remembers that if you have space and charge using while on wifi it will automatically download. I never automatically download anything on any device I have. But I like the form factor and so far nobody else has it matched. Sigh...

As I said, I'm going on vacation and don't want to try until I get back and also have my new device (iPad or something else) in hand. So I'm just dealing with the lost space until next month.

Good luck to both of us.