Claimed Tablet Video Sparks Questionable Speculation of Apple Tablet

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site Nowhereelse.fr has published [Google translation] what appears at first glance to be a video of a tablet computer being used to browse a touch-enabled version of an IKEA catalog. The sleek profile and iPhone-like status bar at the top of the screen have led to speculation that the device might be Apple's much-rumored tablet device.

The video demonstrates a feature similar to Cover Flow to aid in navigation, appearing to possibly offer previews of JavaScript menu navigation items. It also reveals a "shake to shuffle" feature on product listing pages to allow the user to view a new selection of items within a given category. Finally, the user is shown applying different color options to products by both tapping on color swatches in the case of a chair and by dragging swatches into a large image in the case of cabinetry.

Article Link: Claimed Tablet Video Sparks Questionable Speculation of Apple Tablet

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Very nice mockup. It's unlikely that IKEA would spend enough much money for such an elaborate app, and as usual the video is conveniently fuzzy... but it looks yummy. :)

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
That is a sweet mockup. But, apart from going to IKEA and being a gimmick, I don't see what it should be used for.
Reading the newspaper, (er, e-paper :D), books (Turn it on its side), Tesco shopping list.

"Want to buy a chair or Kitchen from Ikea - there's an App for that!"

If that is it, I'm in!

- D

EDIT: Loving the prices being in Pounds - it must be coming to the UK first!

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I have no idea how thin and light Apple is going to make it, but is it just me or does the tablet seem to be too light on the video?

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Some of the drag movements look suspiciously smooth, and many of the response times seem unrealistically quick. I'm guessing this is another case of someone pre-making a video with interface interactions, putting it on a device and timing out their hand movements to sync with the video. If that's the case, though, he did a pretty good job syncing it.

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
Looks real to me... Would be nice if it were a true leak of the upcoming tablet.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Why are there images of an old eMate 300 and Newton 100 in the background?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
It seems I wasn't the only one who noticed the price in UK Sterling.

However, in the top left you can see signal bars and some logo..

That does look cool, but, I still cant why Apple would move into this market, it still too small. Then again, it could be the revolution the market needs and make Apple the big boys

42gb

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2004
Germantown, MD
It looks great and is a promising example of what a tablet can be (like an affordable laptop Surface PC).

BUT as pointed out on Gizmodo, the guy's hands cause shadows on the surface of the tablet, which makes evident the use of a green screen to fake the interface.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2008
As a person that can point out bad CGI like a white guy in Lil' Wayne concert, I'll tell you RIGHT NOW the screen images are super imposed. Don't deny it.

1: When he flicks it, the image position does not sync up for several frames.

2: When was the last time you saw a shadow on a backlit screen?! That's like seeing a shadow on a 100w lightbulb.

thank you, now you see why movies like Transformers and Terminator 3 are my kryptonite

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The rotate in the first few seconds of the video is wrong. All Apple touchscreen devices to date have rotated with a rotation animation, not a fade animation.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2008
Not to mention ZERO reflection, look at any video of iPhones on Youtube in that kind of lighting...

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Seems like you'd want to hold it from what he uses for the top/bottom. He's just barely gripping it with his left thumb and edge of his hand to keep his hand off the screen.

At first glance, it looks big, but then if you compare to the size of his hands it seems small.

I'd want to see how text input works on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.