Clam Shell Mode on Windows (Booting into external monitor)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jammerx2, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jammerx2 macrumors newbie

At one point I had my external monitor set up to work with windows, so I know how, but since then I have reinstalled windows. I haven't used windows in a long time, so didn't bother setting it back up. Recently, my macbook's screen broke, I can boot into OS X fine by plugging in an external keyboard or mouse, or simply by closing the lid quickly before the primary display loads, thus booting it into clamshell mode using only an external display. I cannot however do this with windows, and since my screen is broken I cannot set the display properties as I cannot see them. Is there any way to either boot windows into clamshell mode or set the display properties using keyboard shortcuts?

Regards,
    Jammerx2

2. Jammerx2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still cannot figure this out, I have tried many things to no prevail. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Regards,
    Jammerx2

3. Jammerx2 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems clamshell mode works perfectly in safemode. Unfortunately this still does not get me anywhere.

Regards,
    Jammerx2

4. valvehead macrumors regular

If you are using Windows 7, you can use the Windows Key + P to switch between internal and external monitors. On Mac keyboards the Command key is mapped to the Windows Key.

Assuming that your Mac is booting into "Computer only" mode (see 1st attachment), the press and hold the Windows Key and press P four times. This will switch it to "Projector only" mode. This shortcut even works at the Windows log-in screen.

I don't know if the shortcut works for older versions of Windows.

Attached Files: