Clamav anti virus trojan found

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brasiliangringo, Apr 21, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

I found 4 trojans today using clamav. The infected files were found in the back up folder of my GPS device - so not specific software which i am running on my MAC. (download from Internet to device then backup device to mac). Its a hunch that the viruses are not Mac specific despite clam av finding them as the GPS device software is not operating system specific (you can usb device into either a pc or mac and both will recognize the files & you can do the same basic functions like copy, delete etc) so I guess the planted trojans are more likely to be aimed at people who plug their GPS devices into a PC ? Would clamav detect pc viruses too ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClamAV can only detect Windows viruses, because there ARE no Mac viruses, only trojans.

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks, so let me rephrase that.. would clam av also detect a windows trojan if it existed ?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, if it's in the programs definition files for viruses and trojans, then it will detect such files sitting on your Mac, even if those files are of no harm to your Mac.

5. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for confirming that

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman