iPad Clamcase for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kylera, May 3, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Doing a search for the Clamcase iPad 2 version, I saw reviews about how it had charging issues. Can any Clamcase users confirm or deny them?

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

The other reviews you read were not enough evidence? Yes, some people have had charging issues.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Well, the reviews were a tad dated, so I was wondering whether there were improvements since.

4. TheChukler macrumors newbie

Yes, those reviews were dated. Before I ordered my clamcase I called them and asked them about it. The rep told me that there was a small percentage of units that had a battery defect a while back, but that has since been rectified and is no longer a problem.

My battery lasts quite a while...although I seem to use it as a stand more than anything.

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Nice to know. Can I ask when you got your Clamcase?

6. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Anyone have the updated version of this? Pcmag raved about it, but others have left me less than convinced. I have one on the way but I'm already thinking I should have went with tho Logitech ultra thin instead.

7. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Anyone?

8. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

9. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Welp, I'll let you know tomorrow as that's when mine should arrive.

$150 is steep, but if the build quality is good enough then it's probably worth it. When you consider how versatile the case is, I can forgive the added bulk. If I'm reading or something then I can easily take the case off.

I tried out the logitech ultrathin today and it's pretty sleek. Probably the one I'll go with if the ClamCase disappoints.

10. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Well for the few who were curious, I received my clam case today to much excitement. I'll start off by saying the overall build quality is excellent. Even though it's mostly plastic, I've definitely found the case to be fairly durable. The iPad snaps in with ease.

The different positions are great and easily one of the best parts of overall device. I'm sure what everyone really wants to know about though is the keyboard. Let me just say that 95% of the keyboard is excellent for an iPad folio keyboard.

Sadly, the 5% that isn't so great could be a fatal flaw to an otherwise outstanding package: the spacebar.

The spacebar is quite a bit smaller than most, as expected; however, the right side of the spacebar is virtually impossible to press and have it register without really mashing down. The really strange thing is that from center of the spacebar over to the left...is perfectly responsive. Unfortunately, I'm right handed and always use my right thumb for the space bar. I'm currently using it and it definitely works some of the time, but I've had at least a dozen spacebar errors in these few paragraphs alone. The best way I can describe it is to think about your current space bar and then imagine shoving tissue paper under the right side. You can still press it and get it to register, but it's more like "mush."

At first, I hoped I just got a bad spacebar. Sadly, I searched around online and it looks like this was an issue back on the FIRST generation clamcase: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/re...case-all-in-one-keyboard-case-stand-for-ipad/

I also wonder if it's something that may get better with time, the more I press the space bar. Sadly, the product is a premium $150 so it should work flawlessly out of the box.

I'm really sold on everything else about the clamcase, but just don't think I can offer my recommendation considering such a fatal flaw.

If there's anyone else out there who owns the clamcase, could you do a quick test on yours to see if it also suffers from this?

11. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'm curious how this compared to the solar powered logitech keyboard case. As an owner of a MacBook Pro, and 3 iPad's later I've decided this might be a good idea as this is more portable. I did a quick search on Amazon, and saw these going for over $200, when the clam case website has these listed for $149. This looks to be of better build quality than the Logitech, but I'm not as familiar with this company.

12. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

The overall build quality was excellent. Keyboard as a whole was average, but usable. The space bar issue was an absolute deal breaker for me though. I returned it and got a Logitech Ultrathin.

Typing experience is night and day. Ultrathin wins by a mile. Funny thing is...I loved everything else about the clamcase better, but the #1 category for me was keyboard quality.

Not sure how the logitech solar compares to the ultrathin, but I'd say they quality is pretty comparable.

13. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

That is very good to know. Thanks a lot for your review.

14. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Thanks for the heads up, I have an Incase leather folio now, and like this form factor of cases, so I will more than likely be getting the solar.

15. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I agree. Ultrathin is the way to go. I had the Solar for a day. Took it back. It's much bulkier, the on/off didn't work well, and it was awkward to fold over (solar battery is in the way). It's doable, but the Ultrathin is way more convenient. Pops on and off like a smart cover, and keeps a nice form factor.

Also had the Clamcase. Sold it after a few weeks. Keyboard wasn't great, fingerprints all over the case, sharp edges around the screen, and it's sleep/wake didn't work that well either.

16. scooterama17 macrumors newbie

Recent Clamcase review

First Clamcase had a sticky spacebar, and the "lid" part of the case cracked where the cutout for the earbud jack. Sent it back, received a 2nd unit. This one has 6 keys that would not create a character on screen. Sent that one back. Received the 3rd unit. All the keys work fine but the crack developed after about 5 days of use, again at the earbud cutout. I'm convinced this is a poorly designed product and there's no point of messing with it anymore. Clamcase told me during the return event of unit number 2 that they only replace defective units and do not issue refunds. So I figure the best thing I can do at this point is to make a video of me tossing it off the top of my 380 ft. office building where I work and send it to David Letterman.

17. token787 macrumors regular

token787

I wish the smart case was a little thicker to protect the iPad

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

19. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I quite like the Pro as well - looks pretty slick! Does look like might have to wait a bit here in Europe though:

20. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Had a Zagg folio for a few weeks and bought the Calm for my ipad 3.

I don't use it exclusively, but when I do I love it. Does all it says it does and offers some protection as well. Little heavy, but not bad.

Really like the new pro!

21. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Never had a clamcase, but I'm frankly starting to get a very bad view of the company. I signed up for updates on the iPad mini version ages ago, and it's still just a ridiculous placeholder on their site. An excellent way to get on my bad side is to offer up a stupid rendering of a product that doesn't exist, in the hope that consumers will wait an unspecified amount of time while you catch up to the companies who actually have managed to get a product out already. Price & date or GTFO :D

22. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Does Clamcase know they are on your bad side?

23. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Heh, they don't have much of a reason to care, so I don't expect them to. I was just pointing out that I'm tired of vaporware. Anyone remember how Crux was going to release a clamcase-stylu case with an iPad-compatible trackpad? It was listed as "in development" and for pre-order for a year after it was supposed to have been released, then the link just went dead: http://www.cruxcase.com/products/crux-loaded-2/