Clamp/screw on keyboard tray?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Sesshi, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Or anything else which might work for that matter...?

I'm not a full time A/V guy and the desk space is too constrained in my home workroom to leave control surfaces, keyboard controllers, etc out all the time.

I've just had a new desk complex installed, and I'm still struggling to find somewhere to put my musical gear neatly, where it can be ready for use. Some of the outboard stuff - sound modules, etc - have gone under the table in a small rack, while my podcasting / conferencing mics have gone on anglepoise stands which can be swung out of the way, but control surfaces and keyboards are a problem. I've tried dedicated DAW desks, but they're too 'normal work' unfriendly, giving too much space over to musical paraphernalia.

Do you have any suggestions? I currently have control surfaces from Euphonix (Mac) / Mackie (Win) which need to be fished out each time I do A/V work, and the same situation with the Axiom 49's and the Tenori-ons, not to mention other control units which will be with me shortly.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

When you figure this out please tel the rest of us. I think you have a common problem.

The thing that makes it hard is that music keyboards need to be at a specific height. Your forearms need to be parallel to the floor.

My best idea so far is a keyboard style "X" stand. Place a plywood board on the stand and put pre-wire an mount all the little bits of gear to the board. Wall wort power cudes and all. Put a USB hub on the board to then all you need to do is plug in the AC power, USB and maybe FW. If the board as built is one side of a hard case then you could store the whole setup on end in a closet.

I'm not there yet. Still drawing on envelopes

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I was hoping I wouldn't need to do anything myself in terms of making something, that there would be a problem solver out there. When I get into putting together anything myself, it becomes a quest for perfection that royally wastes my time.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.