Clamshell Concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mizzoucat, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mizzoucat macrumors regular

I have my MBP hooked up to an external monitor at all times. I never use it as a "notebook" and would like to use it exclusively in clamshell mode. I recently installed insomniaT so that I can do battery cycles, etc. without ever having to open the lid. My concern is does insomniaT leave the MBP display on even with the lid closed? I noticed that my "Color LCD" display was still active in my display monitor while running insomniaT on battery power. Is there any harm in running in clamshell mode exclusively?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No harm, as long as you're not running on battery all the time. They're designed to run safely in clamshell mode. You can turn the brightness on the internal display all the way down, if you like.

3. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, now I have another question. I successfully enabled insomniaT and my MBP did not go to sleep when I closed the lid on battery power. However, after manually putting it to sleep, I cannot wake it back up without having to open the lid or plug in the power cord. Does insomniaT not allow you to wake the computer in clamshell mode while on battery power?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Clamshell mode requires AC power. If you want to run on battery, you need to open it.

5. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

But insomniaT allows me to run in clamshell mode on battery power as well. The only problem I'm having is once I manually put my computer to sleep, I cannot wake it back up while running on battery power.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For that functionality, you need to plug it in. InsomniaT doesn't give you all the same capabilities as plugging in.

7. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for all of your assistance. You seem to be the go to guy around here. :)

I know you say the MBP vents very little heat through the keyboard. However, last night my computer went a little nuts after playing some flash video and the CPU temp reached 91 degrees C. I opened up the lid and it almost immediately started to cool down. You could feel quite a bit of heat coming off of the keyboard. I'm concerned about heat because not only do I run in clamshell almost exclusively, but I also have a Moshi clearguard on top of my keyboard. All of this coupled with InsomniaT leaving my display on while the lid is closed (even though the brightness is turned all the way down) has me a little on edge.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no venting at all through the keyboard. The intake and exhaust vents are located at the rear of Apple notebooks, near the hinge. That's where the fan(s) are located, as well. Heat radiates in all directions, including through the keyboard and the solid enclosure base, but neither is used for air venting.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

uhh there are no vents on the keyboard as mentioned ^^^

It wouldn't make any sense considering the rubber gasket that seals things up quite nicely when closed/clamshell mode. It'd be suicide.