Clamshell Dark Blue 366 MHZ Fire Wire Ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by In-Correct, Jan 19, 2014.

1. In-Correct macrumors member

There are no RAM inside the ibooks. :eek: I must have more RAM. :mad: And even if I didn't need it, I would add it anyways because I love to max out the RAM. :cool:

I need to know if the RAM needs to be SO DIMM or SD RAM :confused: and if it needs to be PC 133 or PC 100. :confused: And I need to know everything else also.

I have done research everywhere, and I am getting conflicting information.

Thanks! :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A low density 512MB PC66 SO-DIMM clocked at 66Mhz with 114 pins is the best ram for that machine. PC100 and PC133 will work as well, but may be slightly slower than the recommended PC66 due to latency timing differences.

3. In-Correct, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

In-Correct thread starter macrumors member

PC133 Will Not Work:

The chip I have, which I bought new, ... on ebay listing that said it is compatible :confused: from a seller that assured it would function. :rolleyes:

However PC133 will not work at all. :confused: This is the very first attempt of upgrading the ram in a laptop EVER. :eek: Are the chips supposed to be that difficult to install? :mad: or perhaps it is the wrong brand?

I have done various PRAM resetting and taking the module out and putting it back in.

I also have Mac OS 9.2.2. The RAM is ignored completely with Virtual Memory turned on. When I turn Virtual Memory off and restart, Menu Bar is much more responsive. However, the About This Computer and Apple System Profile continue to not see the ram and I get "There is not enough memory." error messages.

Let my experience help other people in future. Because most of those RAM spec websites are WRONG.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PC133 should work, but it won't be the fastest. It's possible that the ram is bad or is not installed correctly. Have you tried reseating the ram module?

5. In-Correct thread starter macrumors member

Yes:

Yes I have ... Several Times. :confused:

But Perhaps I am doing it wrong. Exactly how far is it supposed to slide in?

Those things are very very ... :mad: to install. They are secured only by some cheap plastic tabs. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere you have to insert at 45 degree angle, and slide it in until they are supposed to "click". :confused:

I have never had such luck with this attempt of Laptop Ram. :mad: (or the Revison A iMac G3 also which has Laptop Ram. :eek: )

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I had some trouble with iBook G4 RAM once...I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work right. I kept reseating it, but I tried pushing it back as far as it could possibly go in the slot, and it clicked and worked! All the time it wasn't in far enough.

7. In-Correct, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

In-Correct thread starter macrumors member

Success!

I knew the gold pins could not be visible for it to be able to function, but I hesitated because I thought using too much force would cause damage. :rolleyes: But this time I took the risk. :( It slid in. :eek: It did not break. :cool: It now works MUCH faster! :D :p

Unfortunately the faster menu bar responsiveness went away. Perhaps If I tried to turn off Virtual Memory again? :confused: But at least I can browse the Internet on it now! :) As far as I am concerned, it is impossible to browse Classilla with 64MB. :mad: But now there is 576 MB. + 990 MB Virtual Memory. Perhaps I will upgrade to PC66 eventually.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You should turn off virtual memory in OS 9. Above about 128MB it isn't that helpful for general computing.

9. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Your welcome.:D