Clamshell destroyed my battery!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 6mt15, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 6mt15 macrumors member

So about two weeks ago, I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse for my macbook, and started using it in clamshell mode with my external monitor. I left it that way for the last two weeks. I finally pulled my macbook off of my keyboard tray (I had kept it down there to keep cable clutter to a minimum) and took it to work yesterday, and to my dismay, the battery life was only an 1:15!! I have consistently gotten 4 hours out of it for the last 10 months, an iStat Pro still tells me the battery health is 96%.
    Anyone know what could have happend? Heard of this before? Any info would help!

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

1. Try calibrating the battery.

2. Did you previously had bluetooh on before? If not, turn that sucker off. Biggest battery drainer of them all.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Run it down and recharge it. If you are at 96% you should get 3:40+. Make sure "Best Performance" isn't checked but that "Better Battery Life" is selected.

TEG

4. 6mt15 thread starter macrumors member

I've already calibrated once, and am in the process of calibrating again. I've always left bluetooth on (I use a bluetooth mouse even when I'm out an about), but even when its off, there is no improvement. "Better battery life" doesn't seem to help either. I just unplugged it 3 minutes ago, and I've already dropped from 100% battery to 95% battery. Is my batter toast? Would my AppleCare cover this?

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

All the new Macs have this way of charging the battery to protect battery life. I forget what it is called but charges it to 100% and then it lets it drop to 95% before recharging it again. Though I'm not sure what could have happened. Your AppleCare protection plan might cover it.