Clamshell iBook power adapter issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macboydus, Jan 11, 2009.

1. macboydus macrumors newbie

Gday Peeps - thanks to the help on this site, Im now using my tangerine iBook , clamshell, on the net, no worries :0 However, I have to make sure I sit pretty still! The thing is, its the old issue with the power adapter, a well-known issue.

First thing is my battery is dead - fair enough, its 10 years old! I have two power adapters, and both have required my soldering to get them fixed....now it seems that there is an issue, not with the actual adapter, but with the adapter connector on the iBook itself. The soldering on the adapter loooks pretty good to me, however if i move, there is a loss of charge, and therefore kaput - computer dead!!

Is there any sort of fix for this before i go to the expense of buying a battery for this???

Chairs,

boydie :)

2. bekki6758 macrumors newbie

Power adapter issue

I had a clamshell where the solder points on the DC power board was cracked, so I re-soldered, but still had to hold down the adapter a tiny bit when it was plugged into the clam to charge.

I took a small screwdriver and was able to bend the gold pins on the inside of the adapter on the clam a bit more towards the center to make better contact with the plug and that fixed the problem.