Clamshell iBook Sticky Trackpad Button

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nickXedge, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I was wondering if anyone else who has used or owned a Clamshell iBook has had this problem and if it's common and furthermore, if there's a fix.

When the battery is out of the computer, the button works fine. However, when the battery is in the computer and the battery cover is on, when you depress the trackpad button it doesn't come back up. You must use your finger nail or a small tool to pop it back out. When you put the battery in, it may work until the cover is tightened on. I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting methods with the battery and cover to see how far I need to go until it gets stuck and there is no way to secure the battery in the computer without having this problem.

I only got this computer like a week ago, so I can't say how long it has been happening. I could only find one link on Google about this and it wasn't helpful at all.

And yes, I have enabled the trackpad to be touched as the button, because I'm using OSX 10.3. And while that technically is a fix because I no longer need the button, I prefer using the button and disabling that function. Yes, I can live with it, but if there's a fix I would rather not.

Thanks.

2. bekki6758 macrumors newbie

Sticky trackpad

Have you tried loosening the 2 torx screws that are located under the battery cover? After replacing a HD in a clamshell, I accidentally tightened them too much and the trackpad was sticky...

Not sure why removing your batt. cover helps, but just a thought...

3. Stachelsk macrumors regular

4. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I finally got around to getting my torx driver replaced because I had recently broken it. And I loosened the two torx screws underneath the battery cover, opposite the trackpad button and it worked! Thanks so much for the advice! I'd been scouring the internet for the past like 3 months and there is no information on this! I made them too tight. Thanks again!