clamshell issues for 17 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MCSN, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MCSN macrumors regular

MCSN

Okay I've searched a few threads. But I'm not seeing hardly anything that relates to my issue for the clamshell mode.

My problem is that I'm in my 17 inch macbook pro, and I can find my external monitor, sometimes. But mostly I cannot close the lid when it does find the external monitor. I have a 27 inch vizio, and I've hooked up through thunderbolt and hdmi. I've ordered a thunderbolt dvi, in case that is an issue.

However, I understand that clicking the external bluetooth keyboard, I've done this. I've wiggled the wires etc. I'm running 10.8.3, and the upgrade to 10.8.4 was miserable, with the wireless runaround. So I see the flicker issue that i experience is in the 15's in thread. My macbook pro 17 has the same flicker issue, the screen pauses out, and comes back sometimes and then doesn't come back at all. I've relieved myself in power saver settings of the sleep feature, though I have to manually sleep if I leave my monitor.

I really don't want to have to keep the screen open. I'm space desperate, and I really function better as a person, and have a more productive existence when the clamshell is in operation and I have things the way that I want them. But is this want just a dream, or can it be fixed ? I thought going to i7 would solve all my problems and enable me as a functional adult.

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

First, make sure you are on A/C adaptor power. No clamshell mode on battery only. I found it worked better for me if I closed the lid on boot up as soon as I heard the chime. I could then put it into sleep mode by the "apple" pull down menu. Then it would re-awaken with a keyboard stroke. Good luck!

3. MCSN thread starter macrumors regular

MCSN

trying

it wont come back on after tapping bluetooth keys :eek: power cord in.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

In Bluetooth settings, click advanced button, check wake from sleep enabled. I'm using USB keyboard. I hope this works for you.

5. MCSN thread starter macrumors regular

MCSN

Thanks

Well, it appears that the forums threads on clamshell mode, macbook pro and apple tv airplay are correct. I have been able to adequately connect using apple tv. which is a costly little workaround since I have to disconnect it from my tv that has the apple tv devoted to it. that being said.

So I connected through airplay, to my monitor, and installed the no sleep which allowed me to close the lid. I'm not sure but I'm thinking my macbook won't be able to go to sleep anymore. :)

However, when I go back to the cable, now that I have no sleep, I have the same issues. Thunderbolt to hdmi, and nothing. I have gotten it to recognize the vizio at times, but it froze the macbook when I closed it.

Sounds like an apple issue to me. So at least there's one work around. Lord only knows that a cable to a macbook pro was the easiest way to do it, and was chopped somehow.