Clamshell Mode Broken on 10.7.3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jclardy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So I just updated my MBA to 10.7.3 yesterday. Now today when I do my normal routine of plugging my sleeping Air into my external display and usb keyboard/mouse it no longer works correctly.

The Air wakes up, but it turns on the internal screen even though the lid is closed, so my external becomes the secondary display. Even if I open the lid and close it again it does nothing, the internal display still keeps primary even though it is off.

Also, it seems that it has issues auto-detecting displays. If I unplug my external display with the lid open it doesn't blank the screen to adjust resolution, and my mouse can still go onto the nonexistent display. The only way to fix it is by going into display settings and hitting Detect Displays.

So basically, no matter what I do my Air thinks the internal display should be on.

Is anyone else having these issues? I searched and found a thread on it, but it was for 10.7.2, which was working for me.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. jclardy thread starter macrumors 68040

jclardy

No, it is not mirroring. The connection is working as the display is showing up. It is just no matter what my air thinks the lid is open. Even if I close the display with the external devices connected (Which is what Apple suggests) it still thinks the internal display is on.

And it was working fine two days ago (on 10.7.2) as I use my air at my desk pretty much every day in clamshell mode. Ever since the upgrade - no go. Even tried restarting, which I almost never do on my air :)

4. Greggae512, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

Greggae512 macrumors newbie

Same issue

I noticed right around 10.7.3 as well.
    Latest 11" MBA and the display when closed seems to be on IE if I mouse off the main LCD its "seeing" the closed display as on.
    It worked seamlessly before daily going to & from the office. I am using the Monoprice MDP -> HDMI adapter to my Samsung 27" LCD. It used to blank to a blue screen once the lid closed; then dock/etc all reappeared n the 27" external LCD.

5. minik macrumors 65816

No problem on my 2010 MacBook Air with 27-inch Cinema Display under 10.7.3.

6. dougeb macrumors newbie

Wow, I have a similar problem with my 2010 MBP with a 24"external Display: In Clamshell mode, the mouse suddenly tracks poorly. I have to open MBP, then mouse starts tracking again.

7. jj48 macrumors regular

Can't say I've had this problem. I'm running a 2011 13" MBA connected to a 24" Samsung monitor via HDMI adaptor, and not seeing any difference from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3.

You might have to mirror the display, keep the lid open and turn the brightness right down until it gets fixed!

8. jclardy thread starter macrumors 68040

jclardy

Yeah for now I am just running with the air open as a second display and my monitor as primary, and I aligned them so only the very bottom right corner will send the mouse to the internal display. It works, but not really the ideal solution that I had working for the past 6 months :rolleyes:

9. applephanatic macrumors member

I noticed that also, it is annoying as all @#$! but the good news; in mountain lion, i have no issue at all in clamshell mode.:eek:

10. raftr macrumors regular

11. Greggae512 macrumors newbie

* Fixed*

Today's EFI update seems to have fixed mine. Hopefully not just due to a restart as I'd tried that multiple times without resolution in the past. :D

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yes, it is now broken. In order to get it to work right I have to plug in, restart my computer, otherwise the screen turns on even with the screen closed and it registers 2 screens. When I restart it comes back as one.

13. jclardy thread starter macrumors 68040

jclardy

Did you restart with the display connected? I updated the EFI, but still seem to have the same issue. Closing the lid turns off the backlight, but it still thinks the internal display is active.

Thanks, this got it "working" for me. It takes longer to set up but at least I can hold out till 10.7.4 which will hopefully be out before summer time.