ClamShell Mode not working anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgwells1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I used to be able to hook up my 2011 MBP to my flat screen with the Rocketfish Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. Now when I close the laptop to use in clamshell the Samsung TV says This Mode is Not Supported. Weird, because it worked fine a few weeks ago, now it doesn't. I even tried a few different settings in the Display Preferences...nothing. I tried plugging in the thunderbolt adapter before booting, and after booting and restarted the computer while it is already plugged in. Nothing. Yes I have the MagSafe attached.

If I have the MBP open, it works fine. Soon as I close the lid it displays the error on the TV. I am using the BT Keyboard and Magic Mouse. I also have BT Devices can wake machine enabled.

Any ideas?

2. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

does it work with the screen open?

i know that it should work with it closed but if it doesnt work either way you might have a defective cord or thunderbolt port

also for calmshell mode there is a few rules that maybe your not following that you did weeks ago when it worked without realizing it

for instance you need to be plugged into the magsafe charger, have a mouse and keyboard attached either with usb or bluetooth

4. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I stated in the original post, I am use a Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse. I also mentioned I have the mag safe plugged in when I have the MBP hooked up to the TV.

Guess I will have the recheck the cable, or mess around with settings again. :(

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

since it works with the lid open its hard to think its the cable

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Make sure that the MagSafe is actually plugged-in and the light is on. I was having a similar problem recently and I didn't notice that the juice wasn't getting to my MBP. D'OH! :rolleyes: I was in the process of figuring out what was wrong when I finally noticed that the light was off...

Since it isn't likely that is your problem, the easiest step to take in your trouble-shooting is to get another cable.

7. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I am still not having any luck with this dilemma. I bought this mac in late Aug or early Sept. Can I still call Mac Support for free? Or at least email them for free?

8. chrisvee, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

chrisvee macrumors regular

Assuming that is Aug or early Sept of last year, yes you can call. You have free support for a year.

EDIT: Correction, it is actually 90 days of phone support.

And, this.

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

You get 90 days free phone support; to extend the time period you will need to buy extended AppleCare. The L.A. Computer Co. and B&H Photo tend to have the best prices.

I suggest posting your problem on the official Apple forum. There is also a Samsung TV forum here: http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/.

10. iforbes macrumors 6502

I believe that included telephone support is 90 days. You are still under warranty so I would bring it in to a store if you can't figure out the cause of your issue.

11. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I live about 2 or so hours away from an Apple Store.

12. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Weird, it's like clamshell mode is switching the external output mode (from something supported like 1920x1080 to something not).

Is it a 15 or 17 with the discreet GPU?

I only ask because that combined with something like gfxCardStatus can create some funky operation if you've tweaked the prefs in gfxCS (I sometimes forgot to re-enable the discreet mode for using my external after running on integrated).

13. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have the 13" with HD 3000 Graphics.