Clamshell mode question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I am running my Macbook pro using clamshell mode. Is it a good idea to leave the cover open just enough to let the heat escape or is closing the lid all the way ok?

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've used clamshell mode for about the past 7 months and I've asked AppleCare about this issue more than once and I always get the same response"
    "Mac notebooks are designed to run in clamshell mode without issues...don't worry about it"

When I use Handbrake (or any other CPU intensive program) I DO in fact open the MBP (despite what AppleCare says)...
    I've had some fan/heat issues since switching to Lion that have me a bit concerned and I've already had the logic board replaced one my 1 year old MBP...

3. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Im very tempted to do a clean install of snow leopard. Lion is ok, But i am also concerned about heat issues in clamshell mode

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no problem running in clamshell mode because it doesn't block the vents, which are located in the rear near the hinge. While heat radiates in all directions, closing the lid doesn't block any vents.