Clamshell mode reviews

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preisslers, Nov 8, 2011.

1. preisslers macrumors newbie

What are you experiences with clamshell mode on the '11 MBP models. Thinking about either a 13 or 15" model. Past experience has been overheating, revved up fan speeds and less than adequate Wifi. I ended up doing away with it.

Thanks for your feedback!

2. tallchris macrumors member

'11?

I've got a new 13' and use it in clamshell all the time, it runs pretty cool so I haven't got any over heating, wifi-signal there is a little drop in performance, so if your along way from your router or often download large files might want to keep it open.

A little side note swell though, I often find it useful to have it connected to my large monitor but left clamshell open (with mirroring off) so I can have say email and twitter on the pro screen then browsers and word processor on the monitor.

3. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback. I think I had a problem with the MBA. I buy/sell/switch computers like every month... kinda hard to keep track.

I would keep the MBP with the screen open, if it wasn't for conservation of desk space. I had planned on getting a monitor where I can rest the MBP on the monitor base stand. Kind of similar to the Thunderbolt display, but obviously a cheaper version of that.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I've done it on 13, 15 and 17 inch models (Early 2011 15, 17, Late 2011 13). No overheating, don't know about Wi-fi since I'm on Ethernet at home, but it works great for me.

5. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I get the fans, but no overheating as of yet. (15") New to the Macbook Pro so far. I don't have the desk real estate to keep it open.

6. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Okay, this whole thread just bugs me! Sorry, but I'm laughing here. The OP is asking about the '11, as in the 2011! Obviously there is no 11" MBP. One of you said that you have a 13' MBP. Really, a 13 FOOT MBP? I'd love to lag that sucker around! LOL! I think you mean that you have a 13" MBP. :p