clamshell mode safe for gaming on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Bullitt, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

Hi guys!

My MBP has replaced my desktop PC for everyday use. Normally it is "docked" on my desk connected to my Dell 24" display (I assume this is called Clamshell mode).

I am curious about trying out some gaming on it, but is it safe in clamshell mode with the increased temperatures rising up??

The other day I was trying out Red Alert 3 for Mac OS X in normal mode and I could feel that it was getting very warm and even after shutting down, it was still hot and the fans were running.

Is there some kind of built in safety feature that would shut the machine down in case temp go out of control or the very least pop up some warning message???

any input would be appreciated.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There are a few users here who game while their MacBook Pro is in clamshell mode and they say it is safe to do so. As for temperature, there shouldn't be that much of a difference that would cause harm to your computer. If by chance your computer does get really hot, the computer will shut itself down so there shouldn't be any worry that you're pushing it too hard and it will damage your Mac.

3. Mr.Bullitt thread starter macrumors regular

Ok! Especially in Clamshell mode I could worry if the heat could damage the screen or make it warp......:confused:

4. babak macrumors member

What I find helpful is opening the screen after having the machine started in calmshell mode. That way the laptop screen remains inactive, but the rear vents are opened allowing for better air exhange.

5. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

My experience of this (although it's not gaming but it is heavy processor use of 2x vmware machines and autocad) is that it gets hot, runs fine and makes a lot of noise, so I generally don't do it!

6. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I wouldn't do it...simply for the fact that while gaming the mbp gets unbelievably hot, especially the area above the keyboard. I'm not sure that the lcd in such close proximity to this heat dissipation, a good idea. This is purely speculative, so if you would like to be a guinea, please proceed. ;)

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

You want to give your computer as much ventilation as possible, especially when running taxing programs. Leaving it open is probably the best thing you could do for it.

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I play games on Bootcamp, and no issues (high CPU usage + 9600GTM = most heat). The fans spin up all the way, and then when I'm done playing, the fans cool the MBP back to normal. I don't see a problem.

Just remember that the hot air exhaust is on the back of the MBP (by the black hinge, and air exits below when the clamshell is closed.

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

If apple designed clamshell mode as a feature, then it should be able to handle anything you throw at it. I regularly run games in clamshell mode in bootcamp. The keyboard gets really hot, but the fans run at full blast. I've been doing this for four months without seeing any issue on the keyboard or the lcd screen (glass). If you develop problems from the heat or the hot air hitting the screen, then it should be covered under warranty. Of course, try to prove that to an Apple "genius."

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Is it just me, or is there a thread exactly like this at least every other day?

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nope; there is a thread exactly like this atleast every other day. I remember a couple months back I had to school some users on the intracicies of MBP cooling. Some still believe that it's designed to cool through the keyboard :confused:.