clamshell mode - safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sr5878, Nov 27, 2007.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey all

i have a SR mbp 2.2 4gb, and i am getting my 20" display in the mail today. i was wondering whether or not it was safe to use my mbp in clamshell mode (almost all the time) once i get it and use an external mouse/keyboard. my mbp usually gets temps between 30 and 60 celcius, usually sits between 40 and 55. im worried about overheating (smc?) and whether or not this heat could damage the display.

thanks!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Your machine is meant to perform in "clamshell" mode. People will say it is "within spec."

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've been using my MBP almost exclusively in clamshell mode, pushing it with CS3, since August or so. Opened it up the other day to do a hard restart, no sign of any probs at all. Has never shut down because of overheating, fans can get a bit crazy at times, though... might be best to raise it to increase air circulation if it's a worry.

4. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i assumed this because apple has instructions on how to use the machine in this manner... however i do need this laptop to last me through college (4.5 more years... maybe less if something big happens and i have the cash) and i don't want to cause visible damage to my LED display. it's in clamshell now with fans pumping at 4000rpm and i'm at 44 celcius.

oops: forgot to mention that im at work playing with a 20" ACD. i had fans at normal speed before with temps around 50... opened up the machine and the display/keyboard were uncomfortably hot (hence my concern and this post) but now i have fans at 4000 and around 44 celcius... i should mention that i also have a speck clear case on my laptop. maybe if i don't like the heat in this test i'll pop open the lid slightly to let the hot air escape?

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I run in Clamshell mode myself and it always just feels like a waste having a laptop acting like a desktop all the time. Although it's cheaper than buying another system.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I wanted a powerfulish Mac that was small and quiet; the Minis didn't cut it. No waste to me. And it gets occasionally used in bed or in the kitchen. Coming from a noisy hot big dual 1.4 for home use, it feels just right for my little flat.

7. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it works perfect for me because i need the portability for school but i also need the machine to perform some brutal tasks for my web and graphic design business with my brand new 20" acer :)

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Exactly why Apple needs a Mini Pro :D It's still a waste of a good screen though and money considering how much cheaper it would be without the screen you don't need. However i do understand why you use it. Same reason as me!

Different uses. The way you want to use it is ok. Using it just as a desktop is a bit of a waste. I wish i didn't have to!

9. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ever use it away from the desk? i'd say even just that one time you need to take your mbp somewhere other than the desk will prove it useful :)