Clamshell Mode - What Triggers It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applekid, Nov 27, 2008.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

I was wondering if anybody knew if there's like a physical switch or sensor that let's the MacBook Pro know when its in clamshell mode. I know you need an external keyboard and/or mouse and close the lid as soon as you boot up. I assume there's something that lets the machine know that the lid is closed. The reason I ask is because since my MacBook Pro fell and broke its screen, I'm planning on buying an external display to use. Currently, I have the MBP hooked up to my TV via VGA and keeping the lid closed with only a mouse hooked up. I'm planning on going headless, and I don't want the MBP to think its lid is closed and display in spanning mode. I already opened up the machine to fix the casing and to look at the display, but I didn't notice anything that would tell the machine that the lid is closed.

Or better yet, is there a way to force the MacBook Pro to use the external display and display in mirror mode only at boot up?

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

well there is not a little button like on a PC its more of a round sliding thing in the Hinge connection itself that tells it it's lid is closed

3. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Part of the hinge as in part of the lid and rest of the display? It didn't look easy to get into that part when I was dissecting the lid.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

inside where the plastic antenna in the hinge is