Clamshell mode with iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drask, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Drask macrumors regular

Hey guys, got a rMBP and having a bit of trouble setting up clamshell mode with my 2011 iMac under Windows. I don't even know if its possible (I hope so) under thunderbolt.

First I had trouble setting up under mount lion, I have to restart the laptop, close the lid when the apple logo shows up and then press cmd + f2, if the mbp goes to sleep I have to open the lid to wake it up (external mouse and keyboard won't work) then everything goes back to normal. This is kinda annoying, is it supposed to be that way? both devices under usb.

Then I tried to set it up under windows (bootcamp) but it won't recognize the iMac through thunderbolt:confused:

I'd appreciate any help, thanks

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Clamshell mode is designed to be used with an external monitor, not another computer. The Thunderbolt ports are not designed for video input, but video output.

3. Drask, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Yes they are, there's a reason I can use it under OS X. If they were not designed for video input they wouldn't be thunderbolt to thunderbolt, but instead thunderbolt to hdmi/DVI etc.

4. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Incorrect. It's possible with some iMacs and it's called Target Display Mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4469?viewlocale=en_US

6. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Still looking for it, if anyone can provide some useful information please let me know.

7. jediDev macrumors regular

IIRC, target display mode requires the iMac to be running OS X. I think it's okay if the source is running a different OS, but the host has to be OS X.

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Clamshell mode is a real bother under OS X. I don't know if it works under Wndows, but if you really need an answer you can try calling AppleCare.