Clamshell mode with iMac

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hey guys, got a rMBP and having a bit of trouble setting up clamshell mode with my 2011 iMac under Windows. I don't even know if its possible (I hope so) under thunderbolt.

First I had trouble setting up under mount lion, I have to restart the laptop, close the lid when the apple logo shows up and then press cmd + f2, if the mbp goes to sleep I have to open the lid to wake it up (external mouse and keyboard won't work) then everything goes back to normal. This is kinda annoying, is it supposed to be that way? both devices under usb.

Then I tried to set it up under windows (bootcamp) but it won't recognize the iMac through thunderbolt:confused:

I'd appreciate any help, thanks

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hey guys, got a rMBP and having a bit of trouble setting up clamshell mode with my 2011 iMac under Windows. I don't even know if its possible (I hope so) under thunderbolt.

First I had trouble setting up under mount lion, I have to restart the laptop, close the lid when the apple logo shows up and then press cmd + f2, if the mbp goes to sleep I have to open the lid to wake it up (external mouse and keyboard won't work) then everything goes back to normal. This is kinda annoying, is it supposed to be that way? both devices under usb.

Then I tried to set it up under windows (bootcamp) but it won't recognize the iMac through thunderbolt:confused:

I'd appreciate any help, thanks
Clamshell mode is designed to be used with an external monitor, not another computer. The Thunderbolt ports are not designed for video input, but video output.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Clamshell mode is designed to be used with an external monitor, not another computer. The Thunderbolt ports are not designed for video input, but video output.
Yes they are, there's a reason I can use it under OS X. If they were not designed for video input they wouldn't be thunderbolt to thunderbolt, but instead thunderbolt to hdmi/DVI etc.

Last edited:

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Still looking for it, if anyone can provide some useful information please let me know.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Still looking for it, if anyone can provide some useful information please let me know.
IIRC, target display mode requires the iMac to be running OS X. I think it's okay if the source is running a different OS, but the host has to be OS X.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Clamshell mode is a real bother under OS X. I don't know if it works under Wndows, but if you really need an answer you can try calling AppleCare.