Clamshell Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xb2003, Sep 27, 2016.

1. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

This is kind of a two part question, as well as thought process. I want to see if anybody else has done something similar.

It is really unfortunate that you can't enable a MacBook to run with the lid closed. For me, I run a lot of live sound events, and it would be really nice to have a rack mounted MacBook for playing music and multitrack recording. I have considered buying a Mac Mini, but I can get a second hand MacBook pretty reasonably and the Mac Minis are pretty uncommon used. Plus, a Mac Mini would only allow remote access, where as a MacBook could be in a drawer.

So I got to thinking, will a Mac Mini even function without peripherals attached, or is it like a MacBook in that it won't operate without a keyboard and monitor plugged in. Furthermore, is it possible to trick MacOS (or OS X) into thinking a MacBook is a Mac Mini (or Mac Pro, for that matter)

I know that with a Hackintosh, you can choose what type of Mac it thinks it is based on what kexts you use. Is there any other way of doing this?

I made a post the other day about my 2011 with the GPU failure. Apple just called me today to let me know it was finished. But I got to thinking, if what I said above is possible (making a MacBook think it's not a MacBook), is it even possible to use a 2011 with a failed GPU? The one I had wouldn't boot, but has anybody messed with one and found a way around that?

2. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

So don't plug any into it you can even remote access from a phone or pad and control it from there.

5. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

When mine goes to sleep it disconnects from any wireless network. I'm not sure about wired. I most definitely cannot remote into it when it is asleep if it is (or was) connected to a wireless network. I haven't found a way around this, the insomnia program looks interesting.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Go into settings and set it to not to sleep.