Clamshell Wi-Fi problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ncaissie, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Hi

I am a new Mac user and I have been a software developer on the windows platform for 15 years now. A few months ago I purchased a refurbished 2011 15” Macbook Pro.
    I purchased Apple care as well as the IOS developer subscription. I’m not a Linux person so I’m figuring this stuff out as I go.

So after a recent update my MBP stopped my wifi every time I closed the lid or if the screensaver kicked in. So I went through all the settings and changed everything I could find such as disabling the sleep mode and screen saver. After searching the web for answers I found a keep alive script that didn’t work because I received permission denied messages.

So then called Apple to ask what I could do. They told me there is nothing I can do because it’s supposed to sleep when you close the lid. So keeping calm I asked this person, how do I connect my Apple TV and Ipad to my MBP if it kills the wifi connection? He said leave the lid open. I told him it worked before and he said “well it shouldn’t have!”

I said what? I have to burn hydro and have a bright laptop screen to my right when I want to enjoy a movie while lying in bed and using my Apple TV? The guy said yes. Have a good day.

Thanks to a friend of mine who is a knowledgeable apple person I got a tool to keep it awake. I’m going to donate to that developer for this free tool.

I just can’t believe the difference in service from going into the store where everyone treats you well to the phone service where they say live with it.

I just needed to get that off my chest. Has anyone had this problem with their wifi recently?

Thanks for listening.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To keep your MBP awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

FYI, clamshell mode is operating with your MBP lid closed while connected to an external display. Without the external display, you're just operating with the lid closed.

3. ncaissie thread starter macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Thanks for the info. I like to keep the lid closed just incase the kids spill something on or around it. I also use my Ipad with it using the Splastop app.

I just think wifi should not be disabled when you close your lid.

----------

And I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you use the app I mentioned, WiFi will not be disabled.