Clamshell Wifi Error

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Gamer9430, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Just got my clamshell today. Its running 9.2.1 and it has an airport card installed. However, I keep getting error code 3278. It appears when I open the airport app and when I go to where there should be networks, and all I see is 3278. I've tried swapping AIrport cards, I tried reseating it, I tried a fresh install... Idk whats wrong with it, but its annoying me to no end. Any ideas?

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'd suggest deleting any extension, application, preference file containing the name 'airport'. Set the extension set to "MacOS All" extension set and reboot.

But BEFORE you do that, grab the 2.0.4 Airport installer from here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...-Communications/AirPort/AirPort_2.0.4.smi.bin

Old Apple download page archived (Download itself is missing):
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111011141917/http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1154?viewlocale=en_US

After re-installing, make sure the airport extensions are enabled in extension manager and reboot.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a power manager reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1431 - Scroll down to "Original "flavored" iBook and iBook (FireWire) computers" for directions

Note that after the PMU reset, your date & time will be reverted to 1904

3. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Sadly, this did not work. I did everything as stated in the proper order. The new airport drivers were in Extension manager and were turned on. It still didn't work, so I reset PMU (which I did correctly since the time/date was reset), but that didn't work either...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's what the error looks like, incase you were wondering. I also updated the firmware and reset PRAM and PMU, which both didn't work either...

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If you select "MacOS All" in extensions manager, is it saying you've got missing extensions ?

I only ask due to the text file on your desktop with that name?

5. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

No, that's from earlier when I was removing some duplicate extensions that were preventing it from booting...

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

7. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Thanks, but it's the AirPort drivers/laptop itself. I don't have any ABSes, oddly enough...

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Further investigating reveals that this MAY be associated with a failed firmware update for the v1 early airport card.

Way back in 2001, when Airport 2.0 was released it would update the firmware in the card, allowing 128bit encryption amongst other things.

The firmware updates automatically, when the extensions load - sadly, it seems this method may fry some cards.

I'm trying to find if there is a way to forcibly perform the update using third party methods, but alas, I've found nothing so far.

9. CWiley macrumors newbie

CWiley

--- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2017 ---
    3278 ERROR... GRRrrr... I've been trying to figure this out for days... I finally solved it! The problem for me is that the wifi got turned back on in my qwest router (I've been hooking to the qwest router via an old silver airport which was connected to the qwest modem via ethernet). I tried everything imaginable - Norton, Diskwarrior, defrag, replacing the airport files, etc., nothing worked. Unplug the router and voila 3278 is gone! So I went into the qwest router and turned off wifi (again) and I'm back up and running! Not sure why the wifi got turned on in the qwest router... power outage?, surge? Don't know, don't care - I now know how to fix it.