ClamXav - always on or just on demand?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Sep 28, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I haven't downloaded or used ClamXav...

I am looking for an "on demand" anti-virus program (not something always running in the background taking up resources).

Can it be set to run this way?

BTW, does it scan for "Mac viruses" or just PC stuff?

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Since there are no "Mac virusses" out in the wild, there are no definition files - so no anti virus program can use those. They normally use Windows virus definition files, which will prevent you from spreading Windows virusses via email.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Is it always on?

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

its never on

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

It doesn't load itself on boot and run in the background?

I guess my only concern is that there is a separate uninstaller for the software engine which makes it sound like it is obtrusive and really hooks into a base level of the OS. No?

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Uninstaller? Are you talking about Windows here? None of what you are saying has relevance to OS X.

7. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Don't assume!

"Engine Remover - unzip this and double click the clamavEngineREMOVER.command. After that, drag the ClamXav application to the trash"

http://clamxav.com/index.php?page=dl#extras

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Don't be naive. There's a number of programs for the Mac that really should come with an uninstaller, and a number that do (Norton should really include an uninstaller, although it'd be even better if they just stopped making their stuff for the Mac). You're not really providing him with a useful answer either.

majordude, ClamXav is designed to be run on a schedule, as well as having the option of scanning downloaded files (I believe, haven't used it). It is designed to run the helper app which controls that schedule at login/startup, but not the full program.

jW

9. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmmm.

I'd just like to use it when I upload or download or share a PC file... which is quite rare but it happens. That's why I don't really want something on all the time, just once a month before I really need it.

I see there is a new program called iAntiVirus or something but that seems so new that I don't trust it. ;)

And I would never put anything from Norton on my system. So they are out of the question. :(

And I despise Intego's marketing strategy. They are selling the wind. They make it seem to every new Mac convert that viruses are out there and get them to buy something they don't need, and therefore, doesn't work as advertised. Jerks. :mad:

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I have ClamXav, but mine's never on. I used to have it set to only run whenever I downloaded a file, so it would scan the downloaded file, and then turn off again, but even that got a little annoying, so I turned it off completely.

Right now, it will only run if I tell it to virus scan my system or a particular file. Don't worry, you can set it up so it won't be bothering you unless you want it too.

11. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Perfect! Thank you!