ClamXAV problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tearabite, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

The wife downloaded a (Windows) virus attachment in an email so i decided I would run a scan for anything else she may have done in the past.

I installed ClamXAV from the Appstore and ran a few scans, but I have found that it is ignoring all exclusions that I have put into the exclusion list.

For example, i have tried both
    .jpg
    and
    .jpg$ (as a regex)

the exclusions are 'enabled', yet, it still scans every singe .JPG file on the computer.

Is this a bug, or am i doing something wrong??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need ClamXav or any other 3rd party antivirus app to protect your Mac from malware. No Windows malware can run on Mac OS X. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Did you use ".jpg$" or "jpg$" to define the exclusion?

I notice the examples in ClamXav don't include "." but I am not sure if this would cause a problem.

Also, the exclusions are case sensitive so the jpg$ exclusion won't exclude files with JPG (uppercase) used for the file extension.

Don't often see uppercase used in the extension but you sometimes find files that do use uppercase. I have seen some devices that do use uppercase when setting the file extension.

Also, the exclusion will not generalize to other extensions used for jpg files, such as jpeg.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you're interested in increasing the security of your Mac, check out the "Mac Security Suggestions" link in my sig.

5. Tearabite thread starter macrumors regular

Tearabite

GGJstudios: Thank you for telling me everything I already know, and giving an answer that has nothing to do with my question. I am looking to find any other (Windows) Virii files/attachemtns that she may have downloaded, i'm not worried that my Mac is infected. Jebus Kripes, you sound like ME! :rolleyes:

munkery: tried with and without the period. also added both upper and lowercase variants and that seemed to do the trick AFTER i restarted the app.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since there is no way of knowing in advance what you know or don't know, my response was appropriate, whether you liked it or not. I can't count the number who have posted, thinking that a Windows virus could infect their Mac. I'm not a mind reader. It made sense to address the most probable scenario first.