ClamXav question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chihiro, Jan 3, 2008.

1. chihiro macrumors regular

hi

i have never use antivirus on apple
    and i have one question for ClamXav
    i just install it on leopard.
    and does it provide real time protection,to alert you if you open
    a site or a doc with malware or virus,please?

To work ClamXav the application have to be open all time right?

thanks in advanced

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have never used any anti-virus/anti-spyware software on any Mac OS. It is not needed. You will be just fine without it.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Macs are starting to get viruses, for beginner users its probably worth having virus protection.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i used it a couple of time to check zips a long while ago now, i think its just for checking a designated loction on request. i could be wrong, but like above ya dont really need it, maybe just check exe files that you download on a mac with intentions to use on a pc.

also macs are not starting to get viruses, there is 2 ever trojans for osX, 1 did nothing, the other, not a lot, they also reqired downloading, installing and authorising with your admin password, even with a 'virus' installed on unix/osx it still has quite a job in doing anything. plus leopard now has app tagging / sandboxing, so a additional step is required once it runs.

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Turn on ClamXav Sentry selecting your download folder, as well as turning on email scanning. If you installed the contextual menu item there's always that to scan individual files.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

They are? Since when? What's your source for this information?

IMHO: running an antivirus program on a Mac is a waste of time, resources, memory. And in the case of some a source of hindrance. I think it's B.S. to say that novice Mac users should run anti-virus. I recommend the opposite. Why add unnecessary complexity.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Although there are pseudo-viruses (you have to enter your password to install etc.), ClamXav and alike do not scan for them, it scans for Windows viruses in case you're going to be sharing files with an unprotected PC :)

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Clam does not offer real-time scanning, although you can set it up to continuously scan a particular folder (such as your downloads folder). It's useful to scan suspect files that you may be passing on to others with Windows machines (such as in a corporate environment), but less useful on a stand-alone machine.

You do not need to leave the GUI running continuously. It inserts an item in your contextual menu, so just right click on a suspect file, select Clam from the menu and it will scan it for you.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Although they do require manual installation (like most current PC threats), Intego antivirus, for example, does protect against them.