ClamXAV Scan Causing Mac Book Pro To Crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by super chimp, May 9, 2008.

1. super chimp macrumors 6502a

With ClamXAV when it scans most stuff on my Mac Book Pro there is no issue but if I try to use it to scan the 'users' folder it seems to cause OS X to crash. If this is something that should not be done then it's not in the users manual as far as I can see nor does it stop you automatically like it does when you try to scan the whole hard drive.

With the crashes the first time it happened the screen went into a thin 'mist' of little colour blocks. The second time it just locked up. Both times I was re-charging the laptop at the time & the laptop was recovered by the use of the power button to shut down & then to re-start.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are currently no viruses for OSX, and has been that way for almost ten years.

You don't need ClamXAV.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would uninstall it, you really don't need AV protection on your Mac. Obviously don't let your guard down and be smart about things, that goes without saying, but AV protection on your Mac is simply unnecessary at this point in time. :cool:

4. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was told it was a wise measure to have some anti-virus software. Firstly because it stops you accidentally passing malware on to Windows users through e mail etc. Secondly that if you are subject to online fraud for some reason then your credit card company may not cover you if they believe you have taken no actions to protect your computer, Mac or no Mac. Thirdly, just because the Mac doesn't have any malware problems at the moment doesn't mean this could not change.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope I am not.